Re: [alpine-user] Custom partitioning - cannot get alpine to boot

From: azarus <azarus_at_posteo.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 14:04:42 +0200

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 10:27:22AM +0000, Neoklis Kyriazis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to install alpine with a manual custom partitioning of the SSD on my laptop.
> I did eventually succeeded with the installation but it will not boot. Installation was done
> using "setup-disk /mnt" where the root partition (sda3) was mounted on /mnt and the
> boot and home partitions (sda1 and sda4) where mounted on /mnt/boot and /mnt/home.
> setup-disk left me with a message that I might need to "fix" the MBR in order to boot.
> Looking into /boot and / I beleive the installation looks complete.
>
> I have used "power user" distros before (gentoo, arch and now void linux) but I am not
> powerful enough, apparently, to resolve this on my own! ;-)
Hi.

Try giving some more information, like the exact partition tables, run
`fdisk -l /dev/sda` (with util-linux installed). Also, what filesystems
are you using? Bootloaders? Show us the bootloader configurations. What
Alpine are you using (3.7/edge/something else that shouldn't be used
currently?). There are many questions left open with your problem
report. Also, what constitutes "not booting"? How far does it get?

> So please suggest some tips for me to try. Alpine seems original and interesting to me,
> since I also have a couple of ARM micros (BeagleBone Black and CHIP) and would like to
> try installing alpine on them. BBB is currently my home web server running Arch Linux.
>
> My thanks in advance.
>
> Neoklis
Might try helping some more if you provide adequate information.
--
Sascha Paunovic <azarus>
email: azarus_at_posteo.net