Re: [alpine-user] Firefox situation

From: Cág <ca6c_at_bitmessage.ch>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 08:46:20 -0400

Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> well,the ThinkPad should have enough power to build it in a couple of
> hours: an equivalent one I have with Linux builds Firefox.. so

Why are you using x86 on a Thinkpad? Is it an old one?

> is it ieasy to build a package from source? repository? I'm new to
> Alpine. Is there a fine guide? I would, possibly try to build only
> selected packages that are not distributed.

Looks like you figured it out :) This is the guide for making a package
from scratch:
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Creating_an_Alpine_package

> Maybe I can even contribute back the binaries?

I don't think so. Packages are built automatically.

>> As for PaleMoon, read this:
>> https://github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip/issues/86
>> They don't even allow distributing Makefiles for it, not talking about
>> binaries.
> well, not... apart that those threads are toxic, the interpretation
> should be different
> - if you want it named PaleMoon you must build it the way they build
> their official distribution. Mauinly this means using their supplied
> libraries
> - if you want to deviate, otpimize, etc, you need to change its name
> and they have NewMoon for unofficial (and thus "unsupported") stuff

"They don't even allow distributing Makefiles for it, unless you call
it NewMoon."

> if just checked and e.g. FreeBSD has a fine package and you can build it
> from source and it works.

It's just not taken down, yet :)

> I try not to use Chromium... and NetSurf is a little minimal, Midori
> is already better. Does it work fine for you?

If it's an old Thinkpad, Chromium/Firefox/Seamonkey will be really slow.
Seamonkey is even more resource-hungry than FF in my experience. With
NetSurf and some other similar browsers you have to know what they can't
do. They also open your eyes at how horrible the Web is today.

--
caóc