Re: [alpine-user] Firefox situation

From: Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola_at_libero.it>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 22:28:57 +0200

Hi,

On 2018-05-11 14:46:20 +0200 Cág <ca6c_at_bitmessage.ch> wrote:

> Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>
>> well,the ThinkPad should have enough power to build it in a couple of
>> hours: an equivalent one I have with Linux builds Firefox.. so
>
> Why are you using x86 on a Thinkpad? Is it an old one?

Indeed. a Venerable T43 with discrete graphics (Radeon) which does work yet perfectly under alpine linux, as my other mail shows.
X11 works though.
My interst in Alpine rised because it seems quick and light... I wanted to investigate the libc and other differences compard to e.g. gentoo, which still remains light and usable thants to systemd absence (but libc is a monstrum)

>> is it ieasy to build a package from source? repository? I'm new to
>> Alpine. Is there a fine guide? I would, possibly try to build only
>> selected packages that are not distributed.
>
> Looks like you figured it out :) This is the guide for making a package
> from scratch:
> https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Creating_an_Alpine_package

I will try that too perhaps for Pale/New-Moon and maybe I can start packaging GNUstep stuff. It appears to work decently, except that the Mail reader doesn't appear to connect, I want to investigate.

However my issue is working better with SeaMonkey.

e.g. how do you "abuild -r" continue resuming withouth cleaning each time? This would help for builds that last many hours, but more importantly, review errors, patch and resume.
I fear I could need some help here... it is an issue with LIBC, I wrote about it. Maybe Firefox has a fix for it.

>> Maybe I can even contribute back the binaries?
>
> I don't think so. Packages are built automatically.

Ok, so if I properly patched, then x86 versions would be built.

>>> As for PaleMoon, read this:
>>> https://github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip/issues/86
>>> They don't even allow distributing Makefiles for it, not talking about
>>> binaries.
>> well, not... apart that those threads are toxic, the interpretation
>> should be different
>> - if you want it named PaleMoon you must build it the way they build
>> their official distribution. Mauinly this means using their supplied
>> libraries
>> - if you want to deviate, otpimize, etc, you need to change its name
>> and they have NewMoon for unofficial (and thus "unsupported") stuff
>
> "They don't even allow distributing Makefiles for it, unless you call
> it NewMoon."

That's not how I interpret that discussion and the wording. But I hate this.
Also, I have no issues with something alled NewMoon, as there were a lot of Firefox renames... I don't care for the brand, but the content!

> If it's an old Thinkpad, Chromium/Firefox/Seamonkey will be really slow.
> Seamonkey is even more resource-hungry than FF in my experience. With
> NetSurf and some other similar browsers you have to know what they can't
> do. They also open your eyes at how horrible the Web is today.

Well, I have on very similar ThinkPads with NetBSD and Linux and experience there FF and SM.

FF on Linux is very usable, as well as SeaMonkey. In my experience seamonkey is finer an d consumes less resources. I am a big fan of it, I never got all this "FF is leaner", it has never been for me.
On NetBSD it is fine too.. although the latest FF needs rustc and from here the mess starts, rustc doesn't build for me anymore >(

I know how horrible the Web is today. But a browser to work decently with github, read yahoo/google mail on the fy and look up WikiPedia is a necessity. I have no issues on x86 on other platforms, except memory limitations.

Riccardo