Re: [alpine-user] dri errors

From: Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola_at_libero.it>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 00:10:22 +0200

William Pitcock wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Cág <ca6c_at_bitmessage.ch> wrote:
>> Ok, so it's not a Xorg problem. It could be a bug with Mesa; searching
>> the Web only gives answers like "upgrade Mesa". Have you tried any
>> programs that rely on it? Like mplayer maybe. I wonder if performance
>> suffers.
>>
>> What do other distros on this machine with other versions of Mesa say?
>> Have you seen such errors before?
> What does
>
> env LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo

t43alpine:~$ env LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
name of display: :0
MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/radeon_dri.so
libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/multix/.drirc: No such file
or directory.
unknown chip id 0x5460, can't guess.
libGL error: failed to create dri screen
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeon
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (Error
file or directory)
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
   Major opcode of failed request:  155 (GLX)
   Minor opcode of failed request:  6 (X_GLXIsDirect)
   Serial number of failed request:  49
   Current serial number in output stream:  48

> say?
>
> Also, using the GPU should always succeed as root.

To test this further, I installed mesa-demos and use the typical
glxgears, much easier to test than seeing erros within midori,
xscreensaver or other apps.

Here is the output if run as normal users:

t43alpine:~$ glxgears
MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
unknown chip id 0x5460, can't guess.
libGL error: failed to create dri screen
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeon
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
   Major opcode of failed request:  155 (GLX)
   Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
   Value in failed request:  0x0
   Serial number of failed request:  36
   Current serial number in output stream:  38

However:
t43alpine:~$ sudo -E glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
278 frames in 5.0 seconds = 55.490 FPS
278 frames in 5.0 seconds = 55.559 FPS
278 frames in 5.0 seconds = 55.562 FPS

this confirms my hypothesis that all drivers are there and do work, it
is an issue with device access and you are right: it succeeds as root.

without vblank I get excess of 600 fps, so... nice that.

The issue appears access to dri..

Riccardo