Re: [alpine-user] How to label mails (the gmail way) ?

From: <franck.houssen_at_eolen.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 11:41:23 +0200

On Tue, 22 May 2018, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> I Franck,
>
> franck.houssen_at_eolen.com wrote:
>> How to label mails (the gmail way) ? Or "organize" mails in "folders" and
>> "subfolders" ? Ideally, I want IMAP to apply changes on the server (if I
>> move a M mail in a F folder from PC1, I would like to see M in F even if I
>> need to use another PC, say PC2.
>
> what do you refer to, sorry? configuration of an IMAP server? or client
> program? e.g. are you using Thuderbird?
> Is the issue specific to Alpine Linux?

Not sure how to explain this as I am not confortable with all this
IMAP/SMTP machinery !...

I want everything I do, a given day with a given mail, to be visible from
"everywhere" (from any PC I could use) anytime (persistent on IMAP
server).

At that stage, my understanding is that I succeeded to configure alpine
this way (= close to what I want):
1. I have nothing in local (not-used or empty /home/user/mail directory)
    => S, L, first list : empty path
2. I use IMAP to "look for" mails (works OK)
    => S, L, first list, server field : added IMAP server address
3. I use SMTP to send mails (works OK)
    => S, C, SMTP : added SMTP server address

Now, say I receive this (new) mail: it's related to alpine, so I would
like to create a folder "ALP" (persistent on the IMAP server) and "move"
this mail into "ALP" for not to see it anymore in the INBOX (I prefer
to see only new mails in INBOX).

In gmail, I would have created a label "ALP", add "ALP" label to the mail,
and remove "INBOX" label from the mail: how to do the same with alpine ?

Not sure I am right here !... I'am precisely trying to understand

> IMAP supports folders and you can move messages between them and there exist
> server-side commands that a mail user agent may support or not.
>
> Riccardo

Franck