Re: [alpine-user] How to label mails (the gmail way) ?

From: <franck.houssen_at_eolen.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 12:25:56 +0200

On Thu, 24 May 2018, Paul Zillmann wrote:

> Hello Franck
>
> Am 23.05.2018 um 15:43 schrieb franck.houssen_at_eolen.com:
>> Beginning a new job. I use the IMPA server of my company : it's a outlook
>> web app where nothing works really !... :D So I took a chance to move to
>> alpine.
>> Can't really tell more as I am not expert in all this (IMAP/SMTP)...
>
> You need to know what IMAP daemon you use. Is it Dovecot or Cyrus or Curier
> etc. pp.
>> OK. If I got you well, it seems the behavior I am looking for is more a
>> IMAP server thing, not an alpine problem (my mistake - I believed it was).
>>
>> Alpine can not create folders at IMAP server side and can't move mails
>> from/to IMAP server folders: correct ?
> You can do that on every Linux if you configured the mailbox format to be
> "Maildir" -> every mail is a file on the filesystem
> Configuring a mailsystem for internet usage requires some knowledge about
> DNS, DKIM signing etc.
> I don't recommend you to run such a system (for a company) with your
> knowledge base.

Didn't had yet time to go into details and to test.

Just to be OK on the headlines, you say that:
- if I go "S" + "L" + set non empty path (/home/user/mail) in the list
- IMAP will "initialize" mails from the server to the local
   /home/user/mail directory
- Then from alpine I can create a folder and move a mail into it
- Then (when I quit alpine ?) the folder and moved mail will be
   replicated on the IMAP server

Correct ?

> You may take a look at Mailcow[1] - this is a finished configured mailsystem.
>
> 1: https://github.com/mailcow/mailcow-dockerized
>
> Paul

Franck