Re: [alpine-user] How to label mails (the gmail way) ?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen_at_sdaoden.eu>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 14:54:28 +0200

Hello Franck.

<franck.houssen_at_eolen.com> wrote:
 |On Thu, 24 May 2018, Paul Zillmann wrote:
 |> Am 23.05.2018 um 15:43 schrieb franck.houssen_at_eolen.com:
 |>> Beginning a new job. I use the IMPA server of my company : it's \
 |>> a outlook
 |>> web app where nothing works really !... :D So I took a chance to move to
 |>> alpine.
 |>> Can't really tell more as I am not expert in all this (IMAP/SMTP)...
 |>> Alpine can not create folders at IMAP server side and can't move mails
 |>> from/to IMAP server folders: correct ?

This is the mailing-list of the Alpine Linux distribution, not the
Alpine mail user agent program. I do not know about Alpine MUA.

 |Didn't had yet time to go into details and to test.
 |
 |Just to be OK on the headlines, you say that:
 |- if I go "S" + "L" + set non empty path (/home/user/mail) in the list

But i would say it allows to freely assign key bindings as all
others do, so knowing about the actual functions would be an
improvement.

 |- IMAP will "initialize" mails from the server to the local
 | /home/user/mail directory

I have no idea what you are talking about.
In general the IMAP server usually "is" the mailbox, and is
accessed, an internet connection provided, as if it is a local
mailbox. MUAs download parts of the messages as you are looking
at them, some have local caches to keep that data around.

 |- Then from alpine I can create a folder and move a mail into it

If it can the former, you can simply access the IMAP mailbox as if
it would be a local folder.

 |- Then (when I quit alpine ?) the folder and moved mail will be
 | replicated on the IMAP server

That is hard to believe, but like i have said, i do not know about
Alpine. But automatic replication in between a regular local
mailbox and an IMAP mailbox somewhere else usually requires
special software, which (i would say) just compares folder
contents and performs synchronization, then.

--steffen