[alpine-user] advice on using alpine

From: Max Waterman <davidmaxwaterman_at_fastmail.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 15:22:15 +0100

Hi,

I want to set up a router to use with expressvpn in China. I have previously just used the s/w client on the various platforms I have, but there is a limit to the number of them I can use at the same time, and I frequently have to manage that use. They allow you to set up a router to connect to the VPN so that I can use as many as I like at the same time.

I had looked at some routers (expressvpn even sell them), but I read they are quite underpowered for VPN use, so I am looking to repurpose an old laptop to do the job for me. It's not the greatest laptop, and doesn't even have 5GHz wifi, but I figured it was worth a try before forking out for something better.

The laptop is an old 'netbook' - a Lenovo S10-3t:

Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Atom N470
Memory 2GB, 667 MHz DDR2
Chipset NM10

It has an ethernet port, and wifi, plus USB to which I could attach ethernet adaptors for the few devices I have with only physical interfaces (eg an old Mac Mini).

I was considering just putting Ubuntu on it, but it seems like there is a lot of waste in that solution, plus I'd have to set it up myself; so I looked for a more purpose build distribution, when I came across Alpine.

So, I am wondering if there is a specific set of instructions for my scenario.

I want to have a wired connection to our main router, and my various devices connect via wifi, or USB ethernet.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Max.