Re: [alpine-user] advice on using alpine

From: Vincent Bentley <vince_at_vincentbentley.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 17:51:36 +0100

I have never been to China. I have never used ExpressVPN. But I know how
to search for information online.

It appears that the Chinese government has banned the use of unlicensed
commercial VPNs in China. I assume this ban also includes ExpressVPN
unless they have a license.
https://www.quora.com/Is-using-VPN-illegal-in-China-in-2018
https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-use-a-VPN-in-China

ExpressVPN Linux Client uses OpenVPN
https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/app-for-linux/

If you are not comfortable setting up a Linux system then maybe a router
purchase is the way to go.

An Ubuntu based system for ExpressVPN would probably be easier at
tackling for a first timer than setting up OpenVPN client on Alpine Linux.

However, there is a how-to that although not written specifically for
your laptop, it explains the steps required.
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Experiences_with_OpenVPN-client_on_ALIX.2D3