Re: [alpine-user] Trouble Installing Oracle Java

From: Bruce Montrose <bruce.montrose_at_nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 09:26:31 -0400

Thanks for the info.  Since Oracle Java is not required over OpenJdk which I see is available from aports/community, I think I'll just go with that and scrap the Oracle Java.

Respectfully,
Bruce Montrose Computer Scientist Naval Research Laboratory Code 5542 4555 Overlook Ave. SW Washington, DC 20375
Hi,

On 2018-07-31 08:28:52, Bruce Montrose wrote:
> Now, I get the following when I try to execute java:
>
> Error relocating /opt/java/jdk-10.0.2/bin/../lib/jli/libjli.so: __rawmemchr: symbol not found

well, as far as I can tell, this symbol is missing in the musl libc used by
alpine linux. So I guess you have the following options:

* use a method described here [1]
* use gcompat [2], [3], [4] (which is the preferred way according to some IRC
talks I remember)
* use this glibc package [5] (which is NOT recommended by the IRC people, but
works)

[1] https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Running_glibc_programs
[2] https://code.foxkit.us/adelie/gcompat (their certificate expired last night,
obviously no one monitored that, so if you are concerned, use the GitHub mirror)
[3] https://github.com/AdelieLinux/gcompat (the GitHub mirror)
[4] https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edge/community/x86/gcompat
[5] https://github.com/sgerrand/alpine-pkg-glibc (NOT recommended)

PS: Make sure to keep the mailing list in cc ;)

Cheers,
--
Marco Dickert
marco_at_misterunknown.de