[alpine-user] How to setup BTRFS and LUKS

From: Tristan Kohl <tristan_at_icetown.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 13:19:23 +0200

Hey guys,

I stumbled upon Alpine a while back when building new docker images for
my home server currently running Debian stable. Since I was quite
intrigued by its minimalism, I gave it a shot in a VM to play around. I
must admit, I fell in love and made an USB drive to use on my home
server. Most things work flawelessly (samba, docker, etc.) but I do not
get how one would get a BTRFS pool on LUKS drives working.

I think I have to dig into OpenRC and drop some service in "sysinit" to
decrypt my drives before fstab kicks in (which as far as I can tell
happens in devfs). I have my crypttab setup to work with a keyfile which
resides in /root.

What I need:
1. Mapping all LUKS drives to /dev/mapper/poolX (setup in /etc/crypttab)
2. Run btrfs device scan to detect my pool
3. Mount pool according to fstab

I am a Linux desktop user for 7 years and I do prefer command line for
many tasks but when it comes to server setups that are just a tad more
advanced I feel like an absolute beginner. When I build my server some 5
years ago I did just some copypasta from a vast number of sites without
documenting anything. Plus Debian did a lot of magic out of the box I
did not even knew of. However this "featurefullness" also always bugged
me since I had no idea what was actually going on behind the scenes.

Hope someone can help me out here, any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tristan