[alpine-user] Boot process cannot mount filesystem

From: Steven Nunez <steve_nunez_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 02:07:24 +0000 (UTC)

Gents,
I'm trying to install and evaluate Alpine 3.8.0 on an old 32bit Mac Mini circa 2007. All seems to be working, except that in the boot process I receive:
"mounting /dev/sda3 on /sysroot failed: no such file or directory"
At first my search lead me to think that because I installed a 64 bit filesystem on that partition, and syslinux does not support it, we were seeing this error. Sadly, reverting to a 32 bit ext for (with resize2fs -s /dev/sda3) has not effect.
What is odd is that once dropped into the emergency shell, I can mount the filesystem with 'mount -t ext4 /dev/sda3 /sysroot' and exit, and all works just fine. Just out of desperation I tried modifying /etc/fstab and a few other mounting related files, all with no effect, which leads me to believe this is happening somewhere in step 4 of the boot sequence, just before things are handed over to openrc.
Does anyone know where exactly this mounting is done? I also checked refined (the EFI 'manager' I am using on this Mac) and it correctly specifies the UUID for this disk. I've been at this for 3 days and have exhausted all the documentation and searching there is; hoping some of the experts here can help.
Regards,