Re: [alpine-user] Launching udhcpc through wpa_cli actions

From: Chloe Kudryavtsev <toast_at_toastin.space>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 20:16:58 -0500

On 1/14/2019 10:38 AM, Gert de Best wrote:
> Hi All,

Heya!

> The wiki says:
> With the above configuration, udhcpc will only run once at boot. If the Wifi isn't available then, or the network changes in between, it needs to be notified. This is done through the wpa_cli action script in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_cli.sh

There are currently many issues with wpa_supplicant-related init scripts.

> Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (nill) error: No such file or directory

One of them is what wpa_cli and wpa_supplicant actually do not interact,
and there's no other init script to run.

> Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this?

You have a couple of options:
1. You can wait until I (or someone else) get(s) around to fixing this,
and the fix gets merged (though the situation will likely look different
at that point).
2. You can write your own init scripts (and/or configure the existing
ones heavily) to provide the mentioned functionality.
3. Use a smarter network manager (not necessarily NetworkManager in
particular, but any sort of non-constant wireless connection usually
benefits from one). In this scenario, I'm told connman is highly
recommended for CLI usage.

The issue with 1 is that that wait may take a long time (for instance, I
am currently working on getting Alpine's user (and developer) official
documentation up from 0 to full, which will take a while).

The issue with 2 is you need to thoroughly understand wireless
networking (e.g copy pasting something someone on the ML writes may
work, or it may not, and you'll need the knowledge regardless in the
latter scenario, to understand what went wrong).

The issue with 3 is that the smarter network manager may give you other
problems.
For instance, as my understanding goes, connman expects that
wpa_supplicant will be started by itself, but I don't know whether or
not it provides a specific configuration file, nor how it handled a
restart of the daemon.

> or the network changes in between
Based on this statement, and the fact that you *connect* to wifi, I'm
going to assume that your device is not permanently rooted in one spot.

As such I'm going to recommend option 3.

P.S. Technically, wpa_supplicant is currently being replaced by iwd (an
intel daemon).
We do not currently have a package for it, but adding one is high on my
todo list (once I finish up with the documentation, which, again, could
take a while, still).