[alpine-user] Startup hangs (aports: sshd?)

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen_at_sdaoden.eu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 15:02:07 +0100

Hello.

After upgrading to [edge] i see a possibly endless hang upon
startup, which seems to be caused by PRNG init. I have seen the
AlpineLinux bug report from two years ago. I have seen hangs of
about one to two minutes on the VM since, hmm, not too long, maybe
two or three months?, and on the bare metal we do hang also about
a minute. I presumed it was about PRNG seeding, and, whereas
i totally dislike that the precious entropy pool i save in between
boots does not count at all, geeh, what can i do about that...
Anyway.

So after upgrading [edge] today i get a possible endless hang, it
was about eleven minutes before my "homebrew watchdog" caused
starting of other services, which then overcame the seeding:

  [ 10.386116] random: dnsmasq: uninitialized urandom read (128 bytes read)
  [ 673.619579] random: crng init done

And this:

  Jan 17 14:04:14 init: starting pid 1997, tty '': '/sbin/openrc default'
  Jan 17 14:15:09 /etc/init.d/lighttpd[2355]: lighttpd: waiting for sshd (50 seconds)
  Jan 17 14:15:18 /etc/init.d/lighttpd[2355]: lighttpd: waiting for sshd (41 seconds)
  Jan 17 14:15:20 lighttpd[2406]: (server.c.1457) server started (lighttpd/1.4.52)

Eleven minutes! Maybe longer if left alone! So if it is like
that, (why does lighttpd wait for sshd via init.d, btw.??), and if
people are about to install haveged or whatever, wouldn't it make
sense to ensure that jitterentropy_rng is loaded during boot, and
rmmoded later on, unless it is also in /etc/modules?

--steffen