Re: [alpine-user] OpenSSL Padlock patch

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 19:10:43 +0000

Hi,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 13:39:42 +0000
Vincent Bentley <vince_at_vincentbentley.co.uk> wrote:

> Padlock engine. I noticed recently that the Padlock specific patches for
> OpenSSL are no longer being hosted on git.alpinelinux.org, could this be
> because non-Alpine Linux users have been downloading them from there?

I think they got removed while upgrading to openssl 1.1. I don't know
if they are needed. We switched the system ssl to be libressl (but are
now switching back to openssl with the Alpine 3.9 release)

> I don't know if the four missing patches for OpenSSL Padlock support
> have been merged with upstream code, are they still necessary? All I
> know so far is that I have a FreeBSD port that fails to build because of
> a dependency on missing patches that were previously available on Alpine
> Linux and that the FreeBSD package maintainer has yet to respond to my
> enquiry. Does anyone know what the current status is with OpenSSL and
> Padlock support?

I don't know either.

> I will be contacting OpenSSL developers to find out what is going on
> with Padlock support. I just wanted to know if copies of these patches
> are still available from somewhere. If they are still necessary, could I
> pass them on to the FreeBSD OpenSSL maintainer so that the patches could
> be put on their patch system.

They are available in the git history:

https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/tree/main/openssl?id=49effa784421467508e5906d4e037c39d311929f