[alpine-user] using ssh without setting up a password

From: Alex Athanasopoulos <alex_at_melato.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 11:59:52 +0200

Is it possible to create a user account with no password (disabled) that
has ssh access (through rsa keys only)?

If I disable the password, I get an ssh error:  Permission denied
(publickey,keyboard-interactive).

I create the user like this:

adduser -D alex

and setup ~alex/.ssh/authorized_keys

In order for ssh to work, I have to setup a password.

Setting up a random password is extra work, which I do manually every
time I setup a new alpine system (which I do a lot).

Other distributions (e.g. ubuntu) let me use ssh without setting up a
password.

- Alex