Re: [alpine-user] Firefox situation

From: Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola_at_libero.it>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 20:52:54 +0100

Hi

some months passed since this mail... now I have an answer to add.

On 2/4/19 12:52 PM, Tyler wrote:
> Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>> I will try that too perhaps for Pale/New-Moon and maybe I can start packaging GNUstep stuff. It appears to work decently, except that the Mail reader doesn't appear to connect, I want to investigate.
> I'll just leave this here:
>
> https://github.com/privacytoolsIO/privacytools.io/issues/375

After having played with PaleMoon a bit I found it worthwhile... with
Matt O. I started a fork... of the fork!

ArcticFox.

The cool thing is... no branding issues :) More freedom! We try to keep
an eye on portability - I did not try AlpineLinux yet because the laptop
I used it on became unusable and on another it did not work.

Like PaleMon we are retaining the classic interface, which I and other
prefer vastly over aurora and even on the more the Quantum series.

We have it working on x86, amd64 and ppc currently.

One note: x86 requires see & sse2 in my builds (that is, Pentium-M and
up), it builds on Pentium-III class machine but has issues for me. Other
people, instead, built it also on "vintage" x86 and got it working. I am
still investigating.

Catering some help/interest would be good. A lot of people are not happy
with Chrome/Google Firefox/Mozilla for a variety of reasons. I estimate
the core work of Mozilla though, so...

Riccardo

Official repo:

https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox