[alpine-user] ZFS boot and root

From: David Davies <David.Davies_at_cybersecure.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 00:18:24 +0000

Hi,

We've been trying to get ZFS on root working for some time. The best we can do at the moment is have /boot on an ext4 partition with ZFS on root. Is it possible to have alpine boot with ZFS on /boot and / - whole disk with no partitions necessary? I have tried every ZFS root guide for Gentoo, Arch, Ubuntu, Centos and a couple for Alpine but simply can't get this to work.

The best I can do is manually load initrd and linux-vanilla from grub but it crashes to an emergency shell on boot.

Any ideas on if this is currently possible? If not could this be support in a future release, even have ZFS as a possible default install option in the setup-alpine script?

Thanks

David