[alpine-user] Virtualbox vboxsf error: Unknown symbol in module

From: Matt Hill <theothermatt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 22:10:27 +0000

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm running Alpine as a Virtualbox guest,
on a Mac host, Alpine 3.9, upgraded from a 3.8.2 installer, but
otherwise a fresh install.

Adding `virtualbox-guest-modules-vanilla` (I'm definitely on the vanilla
kernel, not the virt one) and `virtualbox-guest-additions`, and then
running `modprobe vboxsf` gives the following error:

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxsf': Unknown symbol in module, or
unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg shows:

vboxsf: Unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTMemTmpFree (err -2)
vboxsf: Unknown symbol VBoxGuestIDC (err -2)
vboxsf: Unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexRequest (err -2)

...plus 11 others (I'm typing these out since it's a fresh install,
don't have mail set up in the guest yet).

The shared folder I've set up does not mount.

This continues over reboots and (virtual) power cycles.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me, and I'm happy to
provide more info if needed.

Thanks,

Matt