Re: [alpine-user] missing header sys/queue.h

From: Chloe Kudryavtsev <toast_at_toastin.space>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 23:20:45 -0500

On 2/28/2019 2:02 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi Riccardo,

> how to detect AlpineLinux sources compared to standard Linux

I'm afraid that's not quite the issue you're running into.
Alpine includes all of the standard *linux* headers under the
linux-headers package.
The problem you are running into is that glibc is not linux, and not
necessarily standard.

> fatal error: sys/queue.h: No such file or directory

Alpine uses the musl libc.
musl does not include sys/queue.h[1].
As mentioned, you can find it in bsd-compat-headers (as per the
recommendation of the musl author).

> sys/sysctl.h: No such file or directory

sysctl(2) is deprecated in linux[2], and should not be used.
As such, musl removed it (5 years ago)[3].

Any application using it should be modified to not use it.

> how did you get FireFox running?

I'm not sure on that one, I can't find the mention of sysctl under
testing/firefox, so I assume upsteam has added the ability to detect
this header's presence.

[1]:
https://wiki.musl-libc.org/faq.html#Q:-Why-is-%3Ccode%3Esys/queue.h%3C/code%3E-not-included?
[2]: man 2 sysctl
[3]: musl commit 2c5e7560251b25b36ae3785211962e9597dc7e7d