Re: [alpine-user] Setup an official "Alpine Linux Archive"?

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 09:15:12 +0100

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 09:48:28 +0800
Yuan <yzwduck_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I setup up Alpine Linux on a raspberrypi a month ago, while the latest
> release was 3.9.0.
> For some reasons I cannot upgrade because it is located at a remote
> location and nobody can rescue it if upgrade fails.
> I also want to build some kernel modules for testing today, but I can
> no longer access the exact dependencies required to build packages for
> Alpine Linux 3.9.0 from the mirrors, especially the kernels, unless I
> build them myself.
>
> It would be really nice to have a daily snapshots (or at least, minor
> release snapshot) for official Alpine Linux packages like ArchLinux.
> It will be benefit for users who have to stick to a specific version
> and cannot afford the risk of upgrading the distro.

Yes, I agree with this, and I think it is doable. It could be
implemented as zfs snapshots or similar. We have talked about it, but
infra team has more than enough on their hands currently.

The question is for how long do we save those snapshots? 6 months? 1 or
2 years? forever?

> Arch Linux Archive stores official repositories snapshots, which is
> helpful for downgrading or restoring packages to a precise moment.
>
> PS: deeply apologize for sending subscribing mail to the wrong mail address.

no worries. You are not the first and you will not be the last.