~alpine/aports

4 3

[alpine-aports] Broken packages

<CAKTwcDMWqZmcLkrkLVQz5Y_MXb4ZkKQ6nY+sqESw+eAR_mCs9w@mail.gmail.com>
Current version libsodium library is so.17
There is a list of broken packages, that linked against old version of
libsodium.so.13
testing/dnscrypt-prosy
testing/fastd
testing/quicktun
testing/tinyssh

As I see, tinyssh needs 'tcpserver' from testing/ucspi-tcp to start
service. But the package testing/ucspi-tcp is not compiled and exists only
in git. And tinnyssh's APKBUILD have no ucspi-tcp in depends.

Somebody needs this packages?

Think it's a reason to move them to unmaintained.
Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com>
<20151108225307.GA13542@newbook>
In-Reply-To
<563F8E76.6070007@it-offshore.co.uk> (view parent)
On Sun, Nov 08, 2015 at 06:03:34PM +0000, IT Developer wrote:
> On 08/11/15 17:27, Valery Kartel wrote:
> > Current version libsodium library is so.17
> > There is a list of broken packages, that linked against old version of
> > libsodium.so.13
> > testing/dnscrypt-prosy
> > testing/fastd
> > testing/quicktun
> > testing/tinyssh
>
> I use tinyssh / dnscrypt-proxy - they still work for me but will be
> broken for new installs.

> > As I see, tinyssh needs 'tcpserver' from testing/ucspi-tcp to start
> > service. But the package testing/ucspi-tcp is not compiled and exists
> > only in git. And tinnyssh's APKBUILD have no ucspi-tcp in depends.
> >
> ucspi-tcp (for tinyssh) is still installable.

apk search only shows ucspi-tcp6.

However, I'd like to comment that anything that can be run via ucspi-tcp
*can* be run via inetd (or with the correct invocation of a suitable
'netcat' version).

> Do I need to manually request rebuilds of dependent packages when I
> update libsodium or should rebuilds occur automatically ?

Rebuilds are not automatic; a library that changes ABI should be
followed by a patch series to rebuild each dependency.

HTH,
Isaac Dunham

---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-aports+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-aports+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
<CAKTwcDMWqZmcLkrkLVQz5Y_MXb4ZkKQ6nY+sqESw+eAR_mCs9w@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
I use tinyssh / dnscrypt-proxy - they still work for me but will be
broken for new installs.

ucspi-tcp (for tinyssh) is still installable.

Do I need to manually request rebuilds of dependent packages when I
update libsodium or should rebuilds occur automatically ?

Stuart.

On 08/11/15 17:27, Valery Kartel wrote:
> Current version libsodium library is so.17
> There is a list of broken packages, that linked against old version of
> libsodium.so.13
> testing/dnscrypt-prosy
> testing/fastd
> testing/quicktun
> testing/tinyssh
>
> As I see, tinyssh needs 'tcpserver' from testing/ucspi-tcp to start
> service. But the package testing/ucspi-tcp is not compiled and exists
> only in git. And tinnyssh's APKBUILD have no ucspi-tcp in depends.
>
> Somebody needs this packages?
>
> Think it's a reason to move them to unmaintained.

<563FEC5E.8090104@it-offshore.co.uk>
In-Reply-To
<20151108225307.GA13542@newbook> (view parent)
In the tinyssh "README.alpine" there are also instructions for running
tinyssh via inetd.

apk search does not show 'ucspi-tcp' but it is still installable:
musl64 [~/aports/testing/tinyssh]$ sudo apk del ucspi-tcp
(1/1) Purging ucspi-tcp (0.88-r1)
Executing busybox-1.24.1-r4.trigger
OK: 275 MiB in 100 packages
musl64 [~/aports/testing/tinyssh]$ sudo apk add ucspi-tcp
(1/1) Installing ucspi-tcp (0.88-r1)
Executing busybox-1.24.1-r4.trigger
OK: 275 MiB in 101 packages
musl64 [~/aports/testing/tinyssh]$ which tcpserver
/usr/bin/tcpserver

Stuart.

On 08/11/15 22:53, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 08, 2015 at 06:03:34PM +0000, IT Developer wrote:
>> On 08/11/15 17:27, Valery Kartel wrote:
>>> Current version libsodium library is so.17
>>> There is a list of broken packages, that linked against old version of
>>> libsodium.so.13
>>> testing/dnscrypt-prosy
>>> testing/fastd
>>> testing/quicktun
>>> testing/tinyssh
>> I use tinyssh / dnscrypt-proxy - they still work for me but will be
>> broken for new installs.
>>> As I see, tinyssh needs 'tcpserver' from testing/ucspi-tcp to start
>>> service. But the package testing/ucspi-tcp is not compiled and exists
>>> only in git. And tinnyssh's APKBUILD have no ucspi-tcp in depends.
>>>
>> ucspi-tcp (for tinyssh) is still installable.
> apk search only shows ucspi-tcp6.
>
> However, I'd like to comment that anything that can be run via ucspi-tcp
> *can* be run via inetd (or with the correct invocation of a suitable
> 'netcat' version).
>
>> Do I need to manually request rebuilds of dependent packages when I
>> update libsodium or should rebuilds occur automatically ?
>
> Rebuilds are not automatic; a library that changes ABI should be
> followed by a patch series to rebuild each dependency.
>
> HTH,
> Isaac Dunham

[alpine-aports] Re: Broken packages

<CAKTwcDMXWuKLe7Vzy6swo+2QCiH549uEXRSYWL7wSpAdKW-=6g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAKTwcDMWqZmcLkrkLVQz5Y_MXb4ZkKQ6nY+sqESw+eAR_mCs9w@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
It need to be agreed some kind of fair play, I think.

When upgrading a library it should be informed about the list of packages
that depend on it, and can be broken.

the easiest way is to grep a dependent list, increase their $pkgrel
variable and commit it.

In case of libsodium is:
$ cd aports
$ grep -lr libsodium-dev */*/APKBUILD | xargs -n1 dirname
main/zeromq
testing/dnscrypt-proxy
testing/fastd
testing/quicktun
testing/tinyssh

from this list the only main/zeromq commited to rebuild

> Current version libsodium library is so.17
> There is a list of broken packages, that linked against old version of
> libsodium.so.13
> testing/dnscrypt-prosy
> testing/fastd
> testing/quicktun
> testing/tinyssh
>
> As I see, tinyssh needs 'tcpserver' from testing/ucspi-tcp to start
> service. But the package testing/ucspi-tcp is not compiled and exists only
> in git. And tinnyssh's APKBUILD have no ucspi-tcp in depends.
>
> Somebody needs this packages?
>
> Think it's a reason to move them to unmaintained.

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)