~alpine/aports

2 2

[alpine-aports] phantonjs question

<7BCBCAF4-ED74-4EE4-9CB4-D5C79F7A52C3@nathanjohnson.org>
I’m playing with a phantomjs port, and it looks like Natanael Copa
already made two PRs to some deps to make it compile (Thanks Natanael!).

https://github.com/Vitallium/qtbase/pull/4

https://github.com/Vitallium/qtwebkit/pull/9

 I can’t help but think he’s already started down this path.

The bad news is, the test harness seems to bomb.  If I run this under
the grsec kernel, it signal 11’s all over the place.  If I run under
vanilla, no segfaults, but it does time out when phantomjs tries to
connect to the python httpd process.  For what it’s worth, I also get
similar timeouts when doing a wget to localhost on the same port, so
I am inclined to believe it might be an issue with the python script.

If I don’t hear anything back, I’ll continue into the rabbit hole.
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't duplicating effort.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-aports+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-aports+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
<20160408083604.1e65c454@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<7BCBCAF4-ED74-4EE4-9CB4-D5C79F7A52C3@nathanjohnson.org> (view parent)
On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 21:50:43 -0500
Nathan Johnson <nathan@nathanjohnson.org> wrote:

> I*m playing with a phantomjs port, and it looks like Natanael Copa
> already made two PRs to some deps to make it compile (Thanks Natanael!).
>
> https://github.com/Vitallium/qtbase/pull/4
>
> https://github.com/Vitallium/qtwebkit/pull/9
>
>  I can*t help but think he*s already started down this path.
>
> The bad news is, the test harness seems to bomb.  If I run this under
> the grsec kernel, it signal 11*s all over the place.  If I run under
> vanilla, no segfaults, but it does time out when phantomjs tries to
> connect to the python httpd process.  For what it*s worth, I also get
> similar timeouts when doing a wget to localhost on the same port, so
> I am inclined to believe it might be an issue with the python script.

phantomjs uses JIT which does not work with the memory protections in
grsec kernel. You have to disable those for the phantomjs binary:

  paxctl -cm bin/phantomjs

> If I don*t hear anything back, I*ll continue into the rabbit hole.
> Just wanted to make sure I wasn't duplicating effort.

I published the Dockerfile I used to build phantomjs:

https://github.com/ncopa/docker-phantomjs-alpine/blob/master/Dockerfile

Unsubscribe:  alpine-aports+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-aports+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
<C3137206-0F76-4D2D-A6B0-B6D2E154BC41@nathanjohnson.org>
In-Reply-To
<20160408083604.1e65c454@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
First off, thank you for the reply.  Second, sorry it took so long
to get back to you.

I’ve compiled PhantomJS in several different ways, and I keep
getting a hangup on even trivial examples.  I’ve opened a bug here:

https://github.com/ariya/phantomjs/issues/14186

I was able to reproduce the same hangup in an image built from your
Dockerfile.  So far I’m not seeing anything interesting in strace,
for now I seem to be stuck.  I’ll keep digging, but curious if you can
reproduce this.

Thanks,
Nathan

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 1:36 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 21:50:43 -0500
> Nathan Johnson <nathan@nathanjohnson.org> wrote:
>
>> I*m playing with a phantomjs port, and it looks like Natanael Copa
>> already made two PRs to some deps to make it compile (Thanks Natanael!).
>>
>> https://github.com/Vitallium/qtbase/pull/4
>>
>> https://github.com/Vitallium/qtwebkit/pull/9
>>
>> I can*t help but think he*s already started down this path.
>>
>> The bad news is, the test harness seems to bomb.  If I run this under
>> the grsec kernel, it signal 11*s all over the place.  If I run under
>> vanilla, no segfaults, but it does time out when phantomjs tries to
>> connect to the python httpd process.  For what it*s worth, I also get
>> similar timeouts when doing a wget to localhost on the same port, so
>> I am inclined to believe it might be an issue with the python script.
>

> phantomjs uses JIT which does not work with the memory protections in
> grsec kernel. You have to disable those for the phantomjs binary:
>
>  paxctl -cm bin/phantomjs
>
>> If I don*t hear anything back, I*ll continue into the rabbit hole.
>> Just wanted to make sure I wasn't duplicating effort.
>
> I published the Dockerfile I used to build phantomjs:
>
> https://github.com/ncopa/docker-phantomjs-alpine/blob/master/Dockerfile
>
> -nc
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-aports+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org