[alpine-devel] Atheros Wifi

Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy@thomersonfamily.com>
<6602aeca0908302259r6ae909a9pd1cb242ff4ff7bdf@mail.gmail.com>
Does anybody have any tips for getting an Atheros wifi card going with 1.9?
nangel pointed me to the madwifi project and told me how he did it for 1.8.
But I ran into too many barriers trying to get madwifi built for 1.9, and I
don't understand it enough to be positive that I need it.  The site seems to
indicate that the ath5k module, which I have, is intended to replace
madwifi.

Anyway, compiling the wireless drivers seems to be over my head tonight - so
I would love any help you can offer.

Jeremy Thomerson
Nathan Angelacos <nangel@nothome.org>
<4A9BF0F1.7000500@nothome.org>
In-Reply-To
<1251706503.26142.31.camel@localhost.localdomain> (view parent)
Natanael Copa wrote:

> wireless drivers have been a mess for a long time in linux. things are
> getting alot better now though. We shoudl probably try get ath5k
> working. Seems like it already is in 2.6.30 (is in mainline kernel since
> 2.6.25) so it *should* have been autodetected. You could try:
>
> modprobe ath5k
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath5k
>
> you will still need to do the wpa_supplicant for getting WPA working.
>
>> Jeremy Thomerson

ath5k is autodetected and works for client mode.

Jeremy's trying to configure the card in Access Point mode, and for that
you need wlanconfig

(http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/UserDocs/AccessPointInterface)

madwifi-ng-tools-0.9.4.apk was in 1.8.x, but isn't compiled for 1.9.x

I think he was trying to make an apk for madwifi-ng-tools when he got stuck.

<6602aeca0908302259r6ae909a9pd1cb242ff4ff7bdf@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 00:59 -0500, Jeremy Thomerson wrote:
> Does anybody have any tips for getting an Atheros wifi card going with
> 1.9?  nangel pointed me to the madwifi project and told me how he did
> it for 1.8.  But I ran into too many barriers trying to get madwifi
> built for 1.9, and I don't understand it enough to be positive that I
> need it.  The site seems to indicate that the ath5k module, which I
> have, is intended to replace madwifi.

> Anyway, compiling the wireless drivers seems to be over my head
> tonight - so I would love any help you can offer.

wireless drivers have been a mess for a long time in linux. things are
getting alot better now though. We shoudl probably try get ath5k
working. Seems like it already is in 2.6.30 (is in mainline kernel since
2.6.25) so it *should* have been autodetected. You could try:

modprobe ath5k

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath5k

you will still need to do the wpa_supplicant for getting WPA working.

> Jeremy Thomerson

Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy@thomersonfamily.com>
<6602aeca0908312346pebb3911o1e40dd47c70f747e@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<4A9BF0F1.7000500@nothome.org> (view parent)

> Jeremy's trying to configure the card in Access Point mode, and for that
> you need wlanconfig
>
> (http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/UserDocs/AccessPointInterface)
>

> madwifi-ng-tools-0.9.4.apk was in 1.8.x, but isn't compiled for 1.9.x
>
> I think he was trying to make an apk for madwifi-ng-tools when he got
> stuck.

Yes - very stuck.  :)
<1251791231.26142.82.camel@localhost.localdomain>
In-Reply-To
<6602aeca0908312346pebb3911o1e40dd47c70f747e@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 01:46 -0500, Jeremy Thomerson wrote:
>         Jeremy's trying to configure the card in Access Point mode,
>         and for that you need wlanconfig
>
>         (http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/UserDocs/AccessPointInterface)

>From the doc above:
This document does not apply to "old" (pre November 2005) versions of
MadWifi; neither does it apply to newer ath5k / ath9k drivers. See
UserDocs/ath5kAccessPoint and UserDocs/ath9kAccessPoint?.

As already mentioned about madwifi (from
http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/About/MadWifi?redirectedfrom=MadWifi):

Status
MadWifi has been declared legacy, in response to our commitment to
ath5k. In the long run ath5k will replace MadWifi.

So madwifi is dead. Long live ath5k (which seems to have been around
since 2.6.25. We are in 2.6.30 now)

>         madwifi-ng-tools-0.9.4.apk was in 1.8.x, but isn't compiled
>         for 1.9.x
>
>         I think he was trying to make an apk for madwifi-ng-tools when
>         he got stuck.
>

> Yes - very stuck.  :)

madwifi-ng-tools is wrong direction. Go for hostap + compat-wireless
using the ath5k driver.

http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/UserDocs/ath5kAccessPoint