[alpine-devel] nptl status report

<g2p95408c821004300927leb47b026ufbbe12a6072cf98d@mail.gmail.com>

So, Timo and I have been working on uclibc with nptl. things that have happened:

* We have fixed all major issues so compiling things with nptl should work.
* Lots of patches have been sent to uclibc developers and have been applied.
* Upstream uclibc have finally merged the nptl branch to master
* We have started look info how to perform an upgrade of nptl - we
figured that we need change the abi version number to be able to clean
upgrades.
* Changing ABI version requires a bootstrap of toolchain (gcc/uclibc/binutils).
* Bootstrapping uclibc-nptl development environment requires cross
compilation to work.

So basicly, last week was getting uclibc-nptl work at all, this week
have been work on crosscompilation. The nice thing with making
crosscompile work is that it brings us half way to x86_64, arm, mips.

We have been able to build a cross compiler using crosstools-ng, make
minor fixes so we can use the apkbuilds for crosscompile and at
writing moment it looks like we have a working sysroot with working
native toolchain. So next week we will try bootstrap new abuild and
have a new fresh nptl powered build environment.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

--
Natanael Copa

Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter@gmail.com>
<u2i1b2623ac1004302317ze56b7707y53457e45e5ba808c@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<g2p95408c821004300927leb47b026ufbbe12a6072cf98d@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, Timo and I have been working on uclibc with nptl. things that have happened:
>
> * We have fixed all major issues so compiling things with nptl should work.
> * Lots of patches have been sent to uclibc developers and have been applied.
> * Upstream uclibc have finally merged the nptl branch to master
> * We have started look info how to perform an upgrade of nptl - we
> figured that we need change the abi version number to be able to clean
> upgrades.
> * Changing ABI version requires a bootstrap of toolchain (gcc/uclibc/binutils).
> * Bootstrapping uclibc-nptl development environment requires cross
> compilation to work.
>
> So basicly, last week was getting uclibc-nptl work at all, this week
> have been work on crosscompilation. The nice thing with making
> crosscompile work is that it brings us half way to x86_64, arm, mips.
>
> We have been able to build a cross compiler using crosstools-ng, make
> minor fixes so we can use the apkbuilds for crosscompile and at
> writing moment it looks like we have a working sysroot with working
> native toolchain. So next week we will try bootstrap new abuild and
> have a new fresh nptl powered build environment.
>
> Have a nice weekend everyone.
>

> --
> Natanael Copa

Wow, thats really cool. Now i know why you didn't have time for all my
silly questions last week.
Looking forward for a release.

Carlo