[alpine-devel] reducing size of alpine iso

<AANLkTik9-dXnPDSqLfNzVO42TNNyTeujVMdXR4sjMYBc@mail.gmail.com>

It would be nice to reduce size of the alpine iso. Here are the list
of packages taking most space:

256	sqlite-3.6.22-r2.apk
264	mdadm-3.1.2-r1.apk
268	bind-9.7.1-r0.apk
272	bash-4.1.007-r0.apk
272	libstdc++-4.4.4-r3.apk
276	rrdtool-1.2.30-r4.apk
280	tcpdump-4.1.1-r1.apk
284	e2fsprogs-1.41.12-r0.apk
292	iproute2-2.6.34-r0.apk
300	ipsec-tools-0.8_alpha20090903-r9.apk
320	alsa-lib-1.0.23-r2.apk
328	amavisd-new-2.6.4-r2.apk
328	lvm2-2.02.70-r0.apk
340	dansguardian-2.10.1.1-r6.apk
340	irssi-0.8.15-r1.apk
348	acf-skins-0.3.0-r0.apk
348	transmission-cli-2.01-r0.apk
364	slang-2.2.1-r2.apk
376	util-linux-ng-2.18-r0.apk
388	screen-4.0.3-r1.apk
412	ncurses-terminfo-5.7-r3.apk
424	miniperl-5.10.1-r1.apk
428	busybox-1.17.0-r1.apk
436	links-2.2-r2.apk
440	dhcp-4.1.1_p1-r1.apk
452	snort-2.8.5.1-r1.apk
508	openssh-client-5.5_p1-r0.apk
536	lftp-4.0.9-r0.apk
564	libxml2-2.7.7-r1.apk
588	postfix-2.7.1-r0.apk
592	freetds-0.82-r4.apk
612	squid-2.7.9-r0.apk
624	libcrypto1.0-1.0.0a-r1.apk
632	db-4.8.26-r2.apk
676	espeak-1.43.03-r2.apk
692	libmysqlclient-5.1.48-r1.apk
708	bind-libs-9.7.1-r0.apk
728	quagga-0.99.16-r0.apk
804	syslinux-4.01-r0.apk
964	linux-firmware-2.6.32.16-r2.apk
1040	xfsprogs-3.1.2-r1.apk
1260	libiconv-1.12-r2.apk
1288	heimdal-1.3.3-r0.apk
1324	dahdi-linux-grsec-2.6.32.16-r5.apk
1464	net-snmp-5.5-r2.apk
1492	kamailio-3.0.2-r4.apk
1508	gettext-0.17-r4.apk
1552	nmap-5.21-r2.apk
1584	glib-2.24.0-r3.apk
1632	p7zip-9.13-r0.apk
2048	groff-1.20.1-r2.apk
3088	dovecot-1.2.12-r3.apk
4136	dahdi-linux-2.3.0.1-r0.apk
4212	postgresql-8.4.4-r0.apk
5208	samba-common-3.5.4-r0.apk
6120	vim-7.2.411-r0.apk
8964	perl-5.10.1-r1.apk
19860	asterisk-1.6.2.9-r0.apk
23216	linux-grsec-2.6.32.16-r2.apk
24748	clamav-0.96.1-r0.apk
25552	samba-3.5.4-r0.apk

Any objections if I remove samaba and clamav from alpine iso? Those
will only be available from http repos.
Other packages you think we dont really need on the iso? dovecot? man/groff?

Other options might be to have an alpine-router spin, and fill up the
alpine.iso with 700MB data. (currently the full thing is almost 1GB).
Maybe an alpine-full USB image with everything? who uses cdrom now
days anyway?

The problem with the "full" version is that it will double disk usage
on mirrors so I think it would be nice if we could avoid the "full"
version.

I'm open to ideas.

--
Natanael Copa

Nathan Angelacos <nangel@nothome.org>
<4C4642DB.10901@nothome.org>
In-Reply-To
<AANLkTik9-dXnPDSqLfNzVO42TNNyTeujVMdXR4sjMYBc@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On 07/20/10 06:03, Natanael Copa wrote:

> The problem with the "full" version is that it will double disk usage
> on mirrors so I think it would be nice if we could avoid the "full"
> version.
>
> I'm open to ideas.

Crazy idea:  Mini-iso only.

Chances are, if someone downloaded the iso, they can download individual
packages (and burn their own iso if necessary)

Harry Lachanas <grharry@freemail.gr>
<4C468F89.8050403@freemail.gr>
In-Reply-To
<AANLkTik9-dXnPDSqLfNzVO42TNNyTeujVMdXR4sjMYBc@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
> The problem with the "full" version is that it will double disk usage
> on mirrors so I think it would be nice if we could avoid the "full"
> version.
>
> I'm open to ideas.

Hi,
I would suggest to create a minimal distro that includes the very-basic
stuff that would support networking and internet connectivity.
After that maby some scripts like
alpine-pbx
apline-fw
alpine-web
alpine-proxy
alpine-mails
alpine-mysql
etc
that would download the required packages for each.

a good "apk show package" with some description of the package will be
nice though  like "apt-get show package"
Regards,
Harry.

<AANLkTinZB8JfYKSKAX01i50JrJpJizcz0wJ9FhaHgeW5@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<4C468F89.8050403@freemail.gr> (view parent)
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Harry Lachanas <grharry@freemail.gr> wrote:

>> The problem with the "full" version is that it will double disk usage
>> on mirrors so I think it would be nice if we could avoid the "full"
>> version.
>>
>> I'm open to ideas.
>>

> Hi,
> I would suggest to create a minimal distro that includes the very-basic
> stuff that would support networking and internet connectivity.

We have alpine-mini.iso for that.

> After that maby some scripts like
> alpine-pbx
> apline-fw
> alpine-web
> alpine-proxy
> alpine-mails
> alpine-mysql
> etc
> that would download the required packages for each.

hm... the problem is tha the index is signed.

We have the apk cache:
http://alpinelinux.org/wiki/How_to_enable_APK_caching

You'd still know the exact package names you need (apk add postfix ... etc)

> a good "apk show package" with some description of the package will be
> nice though  like "apt-get show package"

Try 'apk info -a package'

(Timo: we maybe want apk info <package> do the same as apk info -a by default)

One of the ideas with apk-tools is to keep as little info as possible
in the apk index. Adding long description for each package would make
the index size many times bigger (and apk would be slower). Instead,
we provide the URL where user can find more info about the software.

--
Natanael Copa

Timo Teräs <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<4C46A9FF.4020207@iki.fi>
In-Reply-To
<AANLkTinZB8JfYKSKAX01i50JrJpJizcz0wJ9FhaHgeW5@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On 07/21/2010 10:54 AM, Natanael Copa wrote:
>> a good "apk show package" with some description of the package will be
>> nice though  like "apt-get show package"
>
> Try 'apk info -a package'
>
> (Timo: we maybe want apk info <package> do the same as apk info -a by default)

Or maybe just -dw or similar?

> One of the ideas with apk-tools is to keep as little info as possible
> in the apk index. Adding long description for each package would make
> the index size many times bigger (and apk would be slower). Instead,
> we provide the URL where user can find more info about the software.

We could make a separate long descriptions file. But I'm not sure if
it's worth the trouble.