[alpine-devel] RFC: how to deal with /etc/alpine-release

<1283434091.1942.110.camel@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net>

http://redmine.alpinelinux.org/issues/418

Currently, the alpine-release is a symlink to a raw file on the cdrom.
once you have installed to disk the /etc/alpine-release link is broken.

I wonder how we deal with this?

some alternatives:

1: have a separate alpine-release package that only holds
the /etc/alpine-release file and nothing more.

2: add /etc/alpine-release to alpine-base package.

3: add /etc/alpine-release to alpine-baselayout package.

4: copy the .alpine-release file from cdrom/usb to / when doing
setup-disk.

options 1-3 means we need to modify the initramfs script to not copy
that file. (which i think is good). I think i prever either option #1 or
#2.

Other options or ideas?

Thanks!

Timo Teräs <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<4C7FB583.2050506@iki.fi>
In-Reply-To
<1283434091.1942.110.camel@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net> (view parent)
On 09/02/2010 04:28 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> Currently, the alpine-release is a symlink to a raw file on the cdrom.
> once you have installed to disk the /etc/alpine-release link is broken.
>
> I wonder how we deal with this?
>
> Other options or ideas?

Well, apk package index also provides similar information now. Apk could
update it on 'apk update' or 'apk upgrade' or so.

- Timo

<1283500834.9278.93.camel@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net>
In-Reply-To
<4C7FB583.2050506@iki.fi> (view parent)
On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 17:32 +0300, Timo Teräs wrote:
> On 09/02/2010 04:28 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > Currently, the alpine-release is a symlink to a raw file on the cdrom.
> > once you have installed to disk the /etc/alpine-release link is broken.
> >
> > I wonder how we deal with this?
> >
> > Other options or ideas?
>
> Well, apk package index also provides similar information now. Apk could
> update it on 'apk update' or 'apk upgrade' or so.

Thats also an option. Not sure if I want that hardcoded in apk though.

Having it in a package would also update it with 'apk upgrade'. I think
that is how other distros do too. Fedora have fedora-release and debian
have base-files.

I think I'd like it in alpine-base, which kinda defines what is base
system is.