[alpine-devel] more on setup-apkrepos

<e05ebff29d19464ac1e524f498eefdca@ytre.org>

 I'd like to iron how the setup-apkrepos should work. this is a stopper
 for alpine-conf-2.6 so some feedback is appreciated.

 I have done some minor cleanups and simplifications in the code. Most
 of the should not have any visible effect on execution.

 I still have a few things I think we should change though.

 * Too many questions are asked. I just want add a http repo. The
 setup-* scripts should give the end user what he wants as quick as
 possible and then get out of the way.

 First I get (from setup-alpine):
 Setup internet apk repositories? [y/N]?

 This could be avoided by adding it as an option to next step (select
 method: 'none' or 'done')

 Then I get the question:

 How would you like to set up internet apk repositories?

 I think this question is needed. I pick 'f' for automatically find
 fastest.

 Then I get:

 System release is: edge.  Change? (i.e., to upgrade) [y/N]:

 well, we dont really support downgrades and I already run edge. This
 question should never have been asked. I select 'N'

 Then I get yet another question:

 Do you want to enable the testing repository? [y/N]:

 I pick 'N' for now.

 Now I get yet another question.
 Do you want to update repository indexes?
 (You must be connected when using remote repositories.) [y/N]:

 I think we dont need to ask for this. If we have any remote repos we
 can just update it. If there are no remotes there is no reason to ask.

 I pick 'y'

 Finally done!

 phew.

 I got 5 questions. We need get that number down to 1 or maximum 2.

 oh... what if I wanted to just add a http repo for updates + my home
 made repo? Then I'd need to re-run the setup-apkrepos. I run
 setup-apkrepos.

 How would you like to set up internet apk repositories?
 I pick 'e' for enter manually.

 Before adding custom mirrors, do you want to clear
 /etc/apk/repositories and start fresh? [y/n]:

 hum, what question is that? and if I dont remember what I had in
 /etc/apk/repositories? Then I have to ctrl-c, cat the contents and
 re-run the script. Here I cannot pick default either if unsure. I must
 make a decision.

 I want keep my previous run so i pick 'n'

 Now I get what I was wanted.
 Please enter a local path or URL to the mirror:

 I enter /home/ncopa/.cache/apks

 Do you want to add another mirror? [y/n]:
 This is actually good, but we could combine that with the above
 question:

 Enter a local path or URL to the mirror to add (or 'done') [done]:

 Again I get the
 Do you want to update repository indexes?
 (You must be connected when using remote repositories.) [y/N]: y
 Updating repository indexes... done.

 I start to think that we coudl just drop that question and just try
 update the index. If its not connected to internet the user have most
 likely chosed to not setup the apkrepos at all and/or error message
 displayed will be kind of expected.

 Any ideas how we reduce number of questions and try make the script get
 out of the way?

Jeff Bilyk <jbilyk@gmail.com>
<AANLkTi=qL1bpSC=jKfVPumpVyk5XaUHyyMhr5c18yDDG@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<e05ebff29d19464ac1e524f498eefdca@ytre.org> (view parent)
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to iron how the setup-apkrepos should work. this is a stopper for
> alpine-conf-2.6 so some feedback is appreciated.
>
> I have done some minor cleanups and simplifications in the code. Most of the
> should not have any visible effect on execution.
>
> I still have a few things I think we should change though.
>
> * Too many questions are asked. I just want add a http repo. The setup-*
> scripts should give the end user what he wants as quick as possible and then
> get out of the way.
>
> First I get (from setup-alpine):
> Setup internet apk repositories? [y/N]?
>
> This could be avoided by adding it as an option to next step (select method:
> 'none' or 'done')
I like it.

> Then I get the question:
>
> How would you like to set up internet apk repositories?
>
> I think this question is needed. I pick 'f' for automatically find fastest.
>
> Then I get:
>
> System release is: edge.  Change? (i.e., to upgrade) [y/N]:
>
> well, we dont really support downgrades and I already run edge. This
> question should never have been asked. I select 'N'
I harmony with keeping script simple, how about always setup
repositories for current release?

> Then I get yet another question:
>
> Do you want to enable the testing repository? [y/N]:
>
> I pick 'N' for now.
Regular users most likely aren't a) running edge and b) need testing
repos, so we could probably always add this in commented.

> Now I get yet another question.
> Do you want to update repository indexes?
> (You must be connected when using remote repositories.) [y/N]:
>
> I think we dont need to ask for this. If we have any remote repos we can
> just update it. If there are no remotes there is no reason to ask.
We could always *try* to update and if it fails, it fails.

> I pick 'y'
>
> Finally done!
>
> phew.
>
> I got 5 questions. We need get that number down to 1 or maximum 2.
>
> oh... what if I wanted to just add a http repo for updates + my home made
> repo? Then I'd need to re-run the setup-apkrepos. I run setup-apkrepos.
>
> How would you like to set up internet apk repositories?
> I pick 'e' for enter manually.
>
> Before adding custom mirrors, do you want to clear
> /etc/apk/repositories and start fresh? [y/n]:
>
> hum, what question is that? and if I dont remember what I had in
> /etc/apk/repositories? Then I have to ctrl-c, cat the contents and re-run
> the script. Here I cannot pick default either if unsure. I must make a
> decision.
How about always preserving existing repos and then appending changes
made through setup-apkrepos?

> I want keep my previous run so i pick 'n'
>
> Now I get what I was wanted.
> Please enter a local path or URL to the mirror:
>
> I enter /home/ncopa/.cache/apks
>
> Do you want to add another mirror? [y/n]:
> This is actually good, but we could combine that with the above question:
>
> Enter a local path or URL to the mirror to add (or 'done') [done]:
IMHO developpers who need to add a custom repo probably can just add
the line to /etc/apk/repositories manually.

--
Jeff

<20110301181129.3e09e920@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net>
In-Reply-To
<AANLkTi=qL1bpSC=jKfVPumpVyk5XaUHyyMhr5c18yDDG@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Sorry if i sounded un-satisfied with what has been done with
setup-apkrepos. I do appreciate the hard work that has been put in
there. We just need to optimize it a bit ;)

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:30:42 -0500
Jeff Bilyk <jbilyk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Natanael Copa
> <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
> > Setup internet apk repositories? [y/N]?
> >
> > This could be avoided by adding it as an option to next step
> > (select method: 'none' or 'done')
> I like it.

> > System release is: edge.  Change? (i.e., to upgrade) [y/N]:
> >
> > well, we dont really support downgrades and I already run edge. This
> > question should never have been asked. I select 'N'
>
> I harmony with keeping script simple, how about always setup
> repositories for current release?

agree.

> > Then I get yet another question:
> >
> > Do you want to enable the testing repository? [y/N]:
> >
> > I pick 'N' for now.
>
> Regular users most likely aren't a) running edge and b) need testing
> repos, so we could probably always add this in commented.

Never thought of that. Great idea! We could actually always add in edge
commented too.

> > Now I get yet another question.
> > Do you want to update repository indexes?
> > (You must be connected when using remote repositories.) [y/N]:
> >
> > I think we dont need to ask for this. If we have any remote repos
> > we can just update it. If there are no remotes there is no reason
> > to ask.
> We could always *try* to update and if it fails, it fails.

exactly.

> > I pick 'y'
> >
> > Finally done!
> >
> > phew.
> >
> > I got 5 questions. We need get that number down to 1 or maximum 2.
> >
> > oh... what if I wanted to just add a http repo for updates + my
> > home made repo? Then I'd need to re-run the setup-apkrepos. I run
> > setup-apkrepos.
> >
> > How would you like to set up internet apk repositories?
> > I pick 'e' for enter manually.
> >
> > Before adding custom mirrors, do you want to clear
> > /etc/apk/repositories and start fresh? [y/n]:
> >
> > hum, what question is that? and if I dont remember what I had in
> > /etc/apk/repositories? Then I have to ctrl-c, cat the contents and
> > re-run the script. Here I cannot pick default either if unsure. I
> > must make a decision.
> How about always preserving existing repos and then appending changes
> made through setup-apkrepos?

yeah that was about what i came to too after a bit thinking.

> > I want keep my previous run so i pick 'n'
> >
> > Now I get what I was wanted.
> > Please enter a local path or URL to the mirror:
> >
> > I enter /home/ncopa/.cache/apks
> >
> > Do you want to add another mirror? [y/n]:
> > This is actually good, but we could combine that with the above
> > question:
> >
> > Enter a local path or URL to the mirror to add (or 'done') [done]:
> IMHO developpers who need to add a custom repo probably can just add
> the line to /etc/apk/repositories manually.

Agree. We can give the option to edit the /etc/apk/repositories
directly.

Thanks alot for the feedback!

So, I think something like this:

Currently confirued APK repositories:
<list from /etc/apk/repositories>

Available apk repository mirrors:
1) http://...
2) http://...
f) Autodetect fastest mirror
r) Pick a random mirror
e) Edit /etc/apk/repositories manually
Enter URL or path to add (or 1-9/f/r/e or 'done') [f]:

<presses enter>

Finding fastest mirror... using distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr

Currently confirued APK repositories:
<list from /etc/apk/repositories>

Available apk repository mirrors:
1) http://...
2) http://...
f) Autodetect fastest mirror
r) Pick a random mirror
e) Edit /etc/apk/repositories manually
Enter URL or path to add (or 1-9/f/r/e or 'done') [done]:

So second time it sets 'done' as default. That way you can just press
<enter> twice and youre done.

If you have a local/internal repo you can just type the url directly
and <enter><enter>

If you want upgrade to edge or run testing you type: <enter>e<enter> and
remove the appripiate comment(s).

Everybody wins!

Unless somebody beats me I'll try implement the above tomorrow.