[alpine-devel] new edge snapshot and upcoming feature freeze

<20110407213938.57301ae5@alpinelinux.org>

I have tagged a new edge snapshot, 110407. This includes apk-tools-2.1
so things should works as normal when setting up new boxes, without any
apk-tools upgrade adventures.

This snapshot also has a new version of setup-disk with support for
data-only disk setups. You first get asked if you want use disk at all,
and if so, which disk. Then you get asked how you would like to use it
and you basically have 2 options:
 * data-only (hybrid) install
 * traditional native disk install

data-only disk will set up the disk with swap and one big /var using
LVM. You can manually set swap size with -s option or disable it swap by
setting the size to 0. If you run setup-disk with -r option, it will
create a raid1 device under LVM with a single disk so you later can
append a disk for redundancy.

Native disk install might have some issues at the moment and I intend
to rewrite it to also use LVM.

setup-disk now uses ext4 by default.

Please test it and give feedback.

I think we will enter feature freeze mode tomorrow. From next week we
will focus on bug fixing and setting up a 2.2-stable build box. If
there still are any packages in testing that you need for 2.2 stable,
well, too bad...

<588813.98590.qm@web130101.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
In-Reply-To
<20110407213938.57301ae5@alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Just FYI, I'm working on updates to acf-jquery and acf-weblog that I would like
to get into 2.2. They probably won't make it for tomorrow, but I have no problem
upgrading them later in the process and verifying them myself. I think you have
larger issues to worry about, so I wouldn't want to hold up the release.

Ted

<105535.65649.qm@web130107.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
In-Reply-To
<20110407213938.57301ae5@alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Will use of LVM be required? Will it be possible to get the exact same install
that you used to get from 'setup-disk -r'?

Ted

[...]

<390487.78110.qm@web130103.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
In-Reply-To
<20110408080437.559e3cb9@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net> (view parent)
Needed? Maybe not. But I did think it was a nice simple sollution. LVM adds an
extra layer of complication. However, I no longer use setup-disk in any of my
applications, and have moved back to run-from-RAM and lbu. So, as usual, I will
trust your judgement.

Ted