[alpine-devel] pulling in librt as needed

<20111205133420.03116f8f@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net>

Nenolod, I wonder exactly what problem was this commit intended to fix:

http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/commit/?id=3e90d206c5c7ddacb00d9947cb7d495a2e999bcc

It appears to make libstdc++ link to librt - which i think it should
not and which seems to trigger a linker bug:
http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/854

So, I wonder exactly why we pull in librt as needed. The commit message
only says "because glibc does"

Thanks!

<20111205162303.31f6cab0@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net>
In-Reply-To
<20111205133420.03116f8f@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net> (view parent)
On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 13:34:20 +0100
Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nenolod, I wonder exactly what problem was this commit intended to
> fix:
>
> http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/commit/?id=3e90d206c5c7ddacb00d9947cb7d495a2e999bcc
>
> It appears to make libstdc++ link to librt - which i think it should
> not and which seems to trigger a linker bug:
> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/854
>
> So, I wonder exactly why we pull in librt as needed. The commit
> message only says "because glibc does"

I found it. It was to "improve portability with broken applications
which expect that linking directly against libc will bring in mq_*()
functions."

http://www.mail-archive.com/uclibc@uclibc.org/msg07414.html

I tend to agree with Mike there. It's better to fix the broken apps.
Even man mq_open(3) says: "Link with -lrt"

I am reverting it.