[alpine-devel] Poweroff :)

<CAFivhPm17rWE0Gp8-K5i1Vwn4Rq-gMUZNw2x4HoaYk-w174zRQ@mail.gmail.com>

a small question - once in a while at some desparate sad times even my
Alpine systems have to be shut down.
It seems "halt" would be the command I'm supposed to use, since there
is no shutdown -h +0 as a command.
Now while halt does get quite close to a shutdown since it does a lot
more than it would do on a Unix box, it does
stay quite close to the original by not issueing a poweroff after it
is done "halting".

I need to check off the following things:
Systems should power off after a shutdown
Systems should also run this shutdown if the acpi power button is short-pressed

I haven't found much to this behalf but I've even seen it in
Virtualbox, so this has to be a common thing?

Would be glad if someone told me what to change!

Florian

--
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and

Nathan Angelacos <nangel@alpinelinux.org>
<4F0320E1.2040106@alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<CAFivhPm17rWE0Gp8-K5i1Vwn4Rq-gMUZNw2x4HoaYk-w174zRQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On 01/03/2012 03:43 AM, Florian Heigl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a small question - once in a while at some desparate sad times even my
> Alpine systems have to be shut down.
> It seems "halt" would be the command I'm supposed to use, since there
> is no shutdown -h +0 as a command.

I use the busybox "poweroff" command.  Seems to shut down services and
then power off.

And acpid takes care of the power-button thing here.

Jeff Bilyk <jbilyk@gmail.com>
<CAHwjr35qMGT8cSz6bt1-p+5Z39PF0ns3CFDo7Zr=jC05z_nVDg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAFivhPnJMD3qiSN_5gH6Smgg2He7c_9cO0vTKDCBX5DCZau=xg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>>> It seems "halt" would be the command I'm supposed to use, since there
>>> is no shutdown -h +0 as a command.
>>

>> I use the busybox "poweroff" command.  Seems to shut down services and then
>> power off.
>
> I found poweroff a little later - it is very quick about the poweroff I think.
> Are you sure it's really shutting down stuff?
> My shell was gone moments after I hit enter.

Yes, in my testing all services are shutdown cleanly using the poweroff command.

--
Jeff

<20120103143552.3bceaa84@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net>
In-Reply-To
<CAFivhPm17rWE0Gp8-K5i1Vwn4Rq-gMUZNw2x4HoaYk-w174zRQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 12:43:34 +0100
Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> a small question - once in a while at some desparate sad times even my
> Alpine systems have to be shut down.
> It seems "halt" would be the command I'm supposed to use, since there
> is no shutdown -h +0 as a command.
> Now while halt does get quite close to a shutdown since it does a lot
> more than it would do on a Unix box, it does
> stay quite close to the original by not issueing a poweroff after it
> is done "halting".
>
> I need to check off the following things:
> Systems should power off after a shutdown

Dejavu. I have been there...

try /sbin/poweroff

> Systems should also run this shutdown if the acpi power button is
> short-pressed

Make sure that /etc/init.d/acpid runs. (it should if you used
setup-alpine)

> I haven't found much to this behalf but I've even seen it in
> Virtualbox, so this has to be a common thing?
>
> Would be glad if someone told me what to change!

> Florian

<CAFivhPnJMD3qiSN_5gH6Smgg2He7c_9cO0vTKDCBX5DCZau=xg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<4F0320E1.2040106@alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Hi all,

>> It seems "halt" would be the command I'm supposed to use, since there
>> is no shutdown -h +0 as a command.
>

> I use the busybox "poweroff" command.  Seems to shut down services and then
> power off.

I found poweroff a little later - it is very quick about the poweroff I think.
Are you sure it's really shutting down stuff?
My shell was gone moments after I hit enter.

Well... I can try adding an init script that writes a file on stop.

> And acpid takes care of the power-button thing here.

Ok that's quite normal I'll give it a test :)

Flo

<CAFivhPk3U5Tf1NZYHFJZapmpOQWUrycSKpLcNpM4H8=NLCPVdA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAHwjr35qMGT8cSz6bt1-p+5Z39PF0ns3CFDo7Zr=jC05z_nVDg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Just a followup - on a system with console I could see the poweroff
runs a proper shutdown. It's just very very fast.