[alpine-devel] watch out for udev-180

<20120202100039.7871cdd8@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net>

To all udev users: If you have upgraded today or yesterday, please
apk upgrade -a again and make sure that you no longer have udev-180. It
will kill your box... sorry.

I pushed udev-180 upgrade, did a reboot and everything seemed ok.

Today I realized that the upgrade I did was on my main workstation and
not the laptop and I discovered that my workstation was completely
broken.

So I digged around and figured out that they yet again have moved
around things and that they now require devtmpfs support in kernel.
This means I was forced to revert the udev-180 upgrade.

Things like this could have been avoided if they had a proper home page
with proper news that you could read before downloading the tarball.
(the only way they communicate this things is in NEWS file within the
tarball)

I don't think it is good that udev has such a monopoly situation where
they try to push systemd down the throat on everyone. Unfortunally, if
you want a desktop system with working hotplugging, you do not have any
options.

again. sorry for the inconvenience

Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@entel.upc.edu>
<CAPLaKK7WftX8cMsAYFY-N=7dS7_EmxkBvupWdJJtKbMcqbdDAw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20120202100039.7871cdd8@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net> (view parent)
2012/2/2 Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>:
> Hi,
>
> To all udev users: If you have upgraded today or yesterday, please
> apk upgrade -a again and make sure that you no longer have udev-180. It
> will kill your box... sorry.
>

> I pushed udev-180 upgrade, did a reboot and everything seemed ok.
>
> Today I realized that the upgrade I did was on my main workstation and
> not the laptop and I discovered that my workstation was completely
> broken.
>
> So I digged around and figured out that they yet again have moved
> around things and that they now require devtmpfs support in kernel.
> This means I was forced to revert the udev-180 upgrade.
>
> Things like this could have been avoided if they had a proper home page
> with proper news that you could read before downloading the tarball.
> (the only way they communicate this things is in NEWS file within the
> tarball)

It might be good to drop a line to this people explaining the
situation, so we can avoid this in future versions.

> I don't think it is good that udev has such a monopoly situation where
> they try to push systemd down the throat on everyone. Unfortunally, if
> you want a desktop system with working hotplugging, you do not have any
> options.
>
> again. sorry for the inconvenience
>
> -nc
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

<20120202161548.423811c5@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net>
In-Reply-To
<CAPLaKK7WftX8cMsAYFY-N=7dS7_EmxkBvupWdJJtKbMcqbdDAw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 09:49:54 +0100
Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@entel.upc.edu> wrote:

> > Things like this could have been avoided if they had a proper home
> > page with proper news that you could read before downloading the
> > tarball. (the only way they communicate this things is in NEWS file
> > within the tarball)
>
> It might be good to drop a line to this people explaining the
> situation, so we can avoid this in future versions.

I doubt they care. I should have read the NEWS file before pushing
anything.