[alpine-devel] configuring bonding and vlans

<20120309114311.4423eff8@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net>

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours to only configure bonding and vlan
tagging on a box and realized, it is way to difficult and its very easy
to do minor mistakes causing network not to start up at boot.

So I have now copied the pre-up scripts from debian and done some
adjustments for making it work with busybox.

This means that you now can configure bond interfaces like:

iface bond0 inet static
	bond-slaves eth0 eth1
	address 192.168.0.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0

And it will "just work".

Same with vlans. Just add:

iface bond0.64 inet static
	address 192.168.64.2
	netmask 255.255.255.0

or:

iface vlan64 inet static
	address 192.168.64.2
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	vlan-raw-device bon0

Currently you'll need add the packages vlan and bonding from
edge/testing, but I am considering add this functionality to
alpine-baslayout. It is only a handful scripts that takes very little
space.

Meanwhile, please test it from the bridge-utils and vlan packages.

I'll have a look on bridges too while i'm here...

Thanks!

Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@entel.upc.edu>
<CAPLaKK5QxH6-aK2bpVUh420h12w3eqoBGsqGL5drm4vgMryOeQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20120309114311.4423eff8@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net> (view parent)
2012/3/9 Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I spent a couple of hours to only configure bonding and vlan
> tagging on a box and realized, it is way to difficult and its very easy
> to do minor mistakes causing network not to start up at boot.
>
> So I have now copied the pre-up scripts from debian and done some
> adjustments for making it work with busybox.
>
> This means that you now can configure bond interfaces like:
>
> iface bond0 inet static
>        bond-slaves eth0 eth1
>        address 192.168.0.1
>        netmask 255.255.255.0
>

> And it will "just work".
>

> Same with vlans. Just add:
>

> iface bond0.64 inet static
>        address 192.168.64.2
>        netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> or:
>
> iface vlan64 inet static
>        address 192.168.64.2
>        netmask 255.255.255.0
>        vlan-raw-device bon0
>

> Currently you'll need add the packages vlan and bonding from
> edge/testing, but I am considering add this functionality to
> alpine-baslayout. It is only a handful scripts that takes very little
> space.

Do we have to change the setup-interfaces script to change the way
bridges are created?

> Meanwhile, please test it from the bridge-utils and vlan packages.
>
> I'll have a look on bridges too while i'm here...
>
> Thanks!
>
> -nc
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

<20120309170732.733017ef@ncopa-desktop.nor.wtbts.net>
In-Reply-To
<CAPLaKK5QxH6-aK2bpVUh420h12w3eqoBGsqGL5drm4vgMryOeQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 13:17:23 +0100
Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@entel.upc.edu> wrote:

> Do we have to change the setup-interfaces script to change the way
> bridges are created?

Theoretically, no. We could just say that use the "edit interfaces
file" feature in setup-alpine to do advanced networking.

but I think it would be neat if it could accept br0, bond0 etc
and if you enter any of those, it'll ask about the slaves or bridge
ports.

I hope I'll get time to look at that before the feature freeze :-/