[alpine-devel] asking the right questions in setup-interfaces

<20120321221941.6021d8c7@alpinelinux.org>

I am looking into setting up bridges, bonding and vlans from
setup-interfaces (called from setup-alpine) and I wonder how the
questions should be asked.

I would like to optimize the number of questions asked, so we ask as
few questions as possible. For example, instead of asking:

Do you want create any bridge interfaces (y/n) [n] y
Enter the name of the bridge: br0

We could do:
Enter bridge interface to create (or 'none') [none] br0

And we have one less question asked.

Now, since most people will not need bridge interfaces, I would prefer
not ask that question at all, but instead do something like:

(note that the br0 is not initially listed, its a "hidden" feature that
the help '?' could explain about. We should also allow bridge[0-9] as
magic word for bridges)

Available interfaces are: eth0 eth1
What interface do you want configure? (or 'done' or '?') [eth0] br0
Available interfaces are: eth0 eth1
What interface(s) do you want add to br0? (or 'all') [none] eth0
Available interfaces are: eth1
What interface(s) do you want add to br0? (or 'done') [done] done
Ip address for br0? (or 'dhcp' or '?') [dhcp] dhcp
Available interfaces are: eth1
What interface do you want configure? (or 'done' or '?') [eth1] done

We could also allow br[0-9] and bridge[0-9] when asking for ip address
Available interfaces are: eth0 eth1
What interface do you want configure? (or 'done' or '?') [eth0] eth0
Ip address for eth0? (or 'dhcp' or '?') [dhcp] br0
Available interfaces are: br0 eth1
What interface do you want configure? (or 'done' or '?') [br0] br0
(should we ask about adding more interfaces here?)
Ip address for br0? (or 'dhcp' or '?') [dhcp] dhcp

Simlar applies to bonding interfaces and vlans.

What do you think?

Any better ideas?

Jeff Bilyk <jbilyk@gmail.com>
<CAHwjr36CzwJXgm-Y+QU2LqU43AZuRBM9AWarovw6nBfqYL32TA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20120321221941.6021d8c7@alpinelinux.org> (view parent)

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking into setting up bridges, bonding and vlans from
> setup-interfaces (called from setup-alpine) and I wonder how the
> questions should be asked.
>
> I would like to optimize the number of questions asked, so we ask as
> few questions as possible. For example, instead of asking:
>
> Do you want create any bridge interfaces (y/n) [n] y
> Enter the name of the bridge: br0
>
> We could do:
> Enter bridge interface to create (or 'none') [none] br0
>
> And we have one less question asked.
>
> Now, since most people will not need bridge interfaces, I would prefer
> not ask that question at all, but instead do something like:
>
> (note that the br0 is not initially listed, its a "hidden" feature that
> the help '?' could explain about. We should also allow bridge[0-9] as
> magic word for bridges)
>
> Available interfaces are: eth0 eth1
> What interface do you want configure? (or 'done' or '?') [eth0] br0
> Available interfaces are: eth0 eth1
> What interface(s) do you want add to br0? (or 'all') [none] eth0
> Available interfaces are: eth1
> What interface(s) do you want add to br0? (or 'done') [done] done
> Ip address for br0? (or 'dhcp' or '?') [dhcp] dhcp
> Available interfaces are: eth1
> What interface do you want configure? (or 'done' or '?') [eth1] done
>

> We could also allow br[0-9] and bridge[0-9] when asking for ip address
> Available interfaces are: eth0 eth1
> What interface do you want configure? (or 'done' or '?') [eth0] eth0
> Ip address for eth0? (or 'dhcp' or '?') [dhcp] br0
> Available interfaces are: br0 eth1
> What interface do you want configure? (or 'done' or '?') [br0] br0
> (should we ask about adding more interfaces here?)
> Ip address for br0? (or 'dhcp' or '?') [dhcp] dhcp
>

> Simlar applies to bonding interfaces and vlans.
>
> What do you think?

I like the simpler questions, and adding it in to the initial question
about network interfaces seems logical.

> Any better ideas?

Nope :).

--