[alpine-devel] Auto(un)mount on an mdev-based multi-user system

<20120723015857.GA1116@waltdnes.org>
Hi all;

  I've put together a few scripts that hook into mdev, and enable
automounting and unmounting of USB devices.  There are examples on the
net of doing this for embedded devices, with one user, namely root.
Making it viable for a multi-user system, without selling out security,
was a challenge.  E.g. one should really unmount manually before
removing a device that's been written, and I've provided a script for
that.  It has been working for me for several weeks.  The instructions
are at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB  It'll remain
flagged as a "Work in progress" until I get more feedback.

  I'm running this on a Gentoo system, modified to run mdev, but the
scripts should be portable to any mdev-based sysytem.  I use
"#!/bin/busybox ash" to run the scripts.  I assume under Alpine it's
probably a direct call to ash.  Please let me know if there is any
Gentoo-specific stuff, beyond the links to package sources.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

[alpine-devel] Re: Auto(un)mount on an mdev-based multi-user system

<20120724134442.GX2673@vaio.jimpryor.net>
In-Reply-To
<20120723015857.GA1116@waltdnes.org> (view parent)
On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 09:58:57PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I've put together a few scripts that hook into mdev, and enable
> automounting and unmounting of USB devices.  There are examples on the
> net of doing this for embedded devices, with one user, namely root.
> Making it viable for a multi-user system, without selling out security,
> was a challenge.  E.g. one should really unmount manually before
> removing a device that's been written, and I've provided a script for
> that.  It has been working for me for several weeks.  The instructions
> are at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB  It'll remain
> flagged as a "Work in progress" until I get more feedback.

I haven't been able to try this yet, but thanks! for sharing it.

--
Dubiousjim
dubiousjim@gmail.com