[alpine-devel] Development of a meta distribution on top of alpine linux?

Eisfair Team <team@eisfair.org>
<50B28852.3030709@eisfair.org>
To all alpine developers,

we are a group of around 5-10 developers working on a project called eisfair [1]. Eisfair is a Linux
based server system with the main focus of easy installation and easy usage. The installation and
the usage does not need Linux skills and is with simple and - very important - consistent tools
possible. This is done by supplying an additional configuration layer to every software package that
can be easily edited and applied by the user. The intention is the installation of an internet
server with the main focus on the applications and services and not the operating system itself.

The development has come to a point where we are looking for a suitable new base distribution to
realize the next generation of eisfair with. This is the point where Alpine-Linux comes in. It has a
small footprint, it is up2date and it already has a lot of packages already available. These are the
main points of interest which makes Alpine-Linux attractive for us to be the basement for the next
level of eisfair development.

Before we come to a decision on how to proceed, we would like to ask you if you see the possibility
for a cooperation of our projects. Maybe the integration of our easy-to-use ideas and knowhow
combined with a state of the art web configuration with a MVC system is something both groups can
take advantage of.

Kind regards,
the eisfair-Developers [3]

[1] http://www.eisfair.org/en/eisfair/
[2] http://www.eisfair.org/en/eisfair/screenshots/
[3] team@eisfair.org

<20121129165735.2da85554@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<50B28852.3030709@eisfair.org> (view parent)
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:06:26 +0100
Eisfair Team <team@eisfair.org> wrote:

> To all alpine developers,

Hi, sorry for late reply. I wanted to publish our ideas of a new web
framework before responding to this.

> we are a group of around 5-10 developers working on a project called eisfair [1]. Eisfair is a Linux
> based server system with the main focus of easy installation and easy usage. The installation and
> the usage does not need Linux skills and is with simple and - very important - consistent tools
> possible. This is done by supplying an additional configuration layer to every software package that
> can be easily edited and applied by the user. The intention is the installation of an internet
> server with the main focus on the applications and services and not the operating system itself.
>
> The development has come to a point where we are looking for a suitable new base distribution to
> realize the next generation of eisfair with. This is the point where Alpine-Linux comes in. It has a
> small footprint, it is up2date and it already has a lot of packages already available. These are the
> main points of interest which makes Alpine-Linux attractive for us to be the basement for the next
> level of eisfair development.
>
> Before we come to a decision on how to proceed, we would like to ask you if you see the possibility
> for a cooperation of our projects. Maybe the integration of our easy-to-use ideas and knowhow
> combined with a state of the art web configuration with a MVC system is something both groups can
> take advantage of.

As I just posted, we (or some of us) are in the mood for think new when
it comes to configuration frameworks. I think it would be great if we
could join our forces.

Might be an idea to find out what the goals, requirements and
priorities are. For example, one of our requirements are that if you
edit the config file directly, you should see the change in the web ui.
No intermediate config storage in other words.

I posted what we had in mind for the future in other email.

Thanks!