[alpine-devel] problem with UTF-8 on console

Jens Vehlhaber <jens@eisfair.org>
<51823B29.6090101@eisfair.org>
Hello developers

I have a problem with the UTF-8 support on the console. A simple test to
show you the problem: Install kbd package and with commands

# kbd_mode -u -C /dev/tty1; kbd_mode -u -C /dev/tty2 ...

set keyboard mode to Unicode. Now create a file with a German character
on its name. This produces the following result:

# touch Müller.txt
# ls
M??ller.txt

Another simple test with midnight commander:

# mcedit /lib/kbd/consoletrans/utflist
- Press F7 for search function
- Type the German character 'ä'
- The input field show '??'!
- After pressing enter key, mcedit finds the correct entry

   '00e4   ä   LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS'

(tested with version alpinelinux 2.4.10 and 2.5.4)

I miss the locale files for correct usage of UTF-8 characters on the
limited console character set.

Kind regards,
Jens

<20130502134325.0902c233@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<51823B29.6090101@eisfair.org> (view parent)
On Thu, 02 May 2013 12:08:41 +0200
Jens Vehlhaber <jens@eisfair.org> wrote:

> Hello developers

Hi,

> I have a problem with the UTF-8 support on the console. A simple test to
> show you the problem: Install kbd package and with commands
>
> # kbd_mode -u -C /dev/tty1; kbd_mode -u -C /dev/tty2 ...
>
> set keyboard mode to Unicode. Now create a file with a German character
> on its name. This produces the following result:
>
> # touch Müller.txt
> # ls
> M??ller.txt
>

> Another simple test with midnight commander:
>
> # mcedit /lib/kbd/consoletrans/utflist
> - Press F7 for search function
> - Type the German character 'ä'
> - The input field show '??'!
> - After pressing enter key, mcedit finds the correct entry
>
>    '00e4   ä   LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS'
>

> (tested with version alpinelinux 2.4.10 and 2.5.4)
>

> I miss the locale files for correct usage of UTF-8 characters on the
> limited console character set.

Localization is a weak spot in Alpine Linux (and uclibc in general). I think that support for UTF-8 would be nice, so it would be nice if somebody find out what is needed to make it work.

Do you think you could file a bug for this in bugs.a.o so we don't forget it?

Thanks!