[alpine-devel] making an alpine iso

<CAPi=7hN_yK1QUt9-tu0nD=+-vaa+PfuhOPjqa+njswMUTQqvFw@mail.gmail.com>
I'm running Alpine 2.5 and having a problem making a custom iso.  I go
through the instructions here:

http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/How_to_make_a_custom_ISO_image

And things go well until, during the make phase, it gets to installing
syslinux.  I then get:

Downloading syslinux-4.06-r0
tar: usr/share/syslinux/ldlinux.c32: not found in archive

At which point the build dies.

I've gotten this error trying to build the default alpine-rescue.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

Brian
<CAPi=7hOOStbcgi41BR1ePoR5tqgkqmv1qS1iYUtJrD5d=yXh8A@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20130510094621.3b487b16@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Thanks for the response - I'll give it a try this morning.  I assume
another option would be to try edge - but I'd like to get an iso working w/
the stable release first.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Brian

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 3:46 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 2013 09:40:02 +0200
> Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Brian Knox <taotetek@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm running Alpine 2.5 and having a problem making a custom iso.  I go
> > > through the instructions here:
> > >
> > > http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/How_to_make_a_custom_ISO_image
> > >
> > > And things go well until, during the make phase, it gets to installing
> > > syslinux.  I then get:
> > >
> > > Downloading syslinux-4.06-r0
> > > tar: usr/share/syslinux/ldlinux.c32: not found in archive
> >
> > Not 100% sure, but it looks like alpine-iso is not backwards
> > compatible since it has been set to use syslinux-5 (which is not in
> > alpine 2.5).
> > You could try to checkout an older version of alpine-iso (before the
> > "support for syslinux-5" commit) which should probably still work.
> > You can do that by going into alpine-iso dir and: git checkout
> > 4fc8419f46c543ae18bda240350d17f83f5bc936
> > If that still doesn't work, you could try to checkout some older
> > commit and see if that works.
> >

> Yes, we should probably branch it in git.
>
> -nc

<CAPi=7hOCDcs0CRHOsfpqKm5hdMf2aoF_wnjT7azNEWXZdOcJ_A@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAPi=7hOOStbcgi41BR1ePoR5tqgkqmv1qS1iYUtJrD5d=yXh8A@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Reverting to commit 4fc8419f... did the trick!  Thanks.

Brian

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 5:50 AM, Brian Knox <taotetek@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response - I'll give it a try this morning.  I assume
> another option would be to try edge - but I'd like to get an iso working w/
> the stable release first.
>
> I'll let you know how it goes!
> Brian
>

> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 3:46 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 May 2013 09:40:02 +0200
>> Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Not 100% sure, but it looks like alpine-iso is not backwards
>> > compatible since it has been set to use syslinux-5 (which is not in
>> > alpine 2.5).
>> > You could try to checkout an older version of alpine-iso (before the
>> > "support for syslinux-5" commit) which should probably still work.
>> > You can do that by going into alpine-iso dir and: git checkout
>> > 4fc8419f46c543ae18bda240350d17f83f5bc936
>> > If that still doesn't work, you could try to checkout some older
>> > commit and see if that works.
>> >

>> Yes, we should probably branch it in git.
>>
>> -nc

Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter@gmail.com>
<CA+cSEmM9qFCAJDE4qEbX2itnaCxG9pM+VF7wmL=pZu7UmN9tgw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAPi=7hN_yK1QUt9-tu0nD=+-vaa+PfuhOPjqa+njswMUTQqvFw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)

<CA+cSEmM9qFCAJDE4qEbX2itnaCxG9pM+VF7wmL=pZu7UmN9tgw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)

<CA+cSEmMgNBZW5hSnGeOXWO9wkR-+rwOBqnEaaFcObues=UtyOA@mail.gmail.com>
On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Brian Knox <taotetek@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the response - I'll give it a try this morning.  I assume another
> option would be to try edge - but I'd like to get an iso working w/ the
> stable release first.

You can also use http://nl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v2.6 which is compatible.
There is no release yet (waiting for grsecurity patch), but you can
build an iso from it if you want.