~alpine/devel

Re: [alpine-devel] Simple Desktop GUI in Alpine

Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<20130602205956.558dc1ee@vostro>
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 20:09:26 +0430
Richard Johnson <johnson9884@qq.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to create a simple GUI in alpine. I first tried java
> swing. Running java swings on alpine reached multiple obstacles, the
> last one is that the JVM throwing SIGSEGV signal. The logs of JVM are
> attached.

Are you using provided java or linking against java? Any executable
doing jit will need certain pax features turned off with paxctl.

> Now, I am confused that maybe using Swing was not a good decision in
> the first point. Is there any simple way to design a simple desktop
> gui for alpine? Do you recommend any C++ libraries such as Qt for
> this task? Or do you think that working with Swing is feasible?

I run xfce4 on my laptop...

But if you are talking about specialized appliances. I've created a
touch-screen appliance with Qt4. Mostly QML code with little bit of C++
code to integrate with certain hardware devices. Lots of eye candy,
nice visual effects, and does the job perfectly.

- Timo