[alpine-devel] abuild git repo question

<20130703143417.GG1550@zen>
Looking at the Makefile inside the abuild git repo, I see a target
"dist", which rolls up a source repository. However, I guess we're
actually not using "make dist", because what that target rolls up is incomplete
(it omits abuild-tar.c abuild-sudo.c functions.sh aports.lua, which
are all required to "make install"). Also, what actually gets downloaded
if you go to $APORTS/main/abuild and do "abuild fetch" includes
.gitignore and so on.

Q1. I have to tinker with the Makefile anyway in some patches I'll be
sending. Should I add the missing files to the dist target?

There are a lot of files in the abuild git repo that aren't installed,
and I think at least some of them are cruft. Perhaps others are
work-in-progress.

bootchartd and initramfs-init seem to lag behind the versions in the
mkinitfs repo, which are what we actually install.

Perhaps these files are also cruft:
 APKBUILD-svn.proto
 alpine.mk
 alpine.packages
 cmp-apks-iso
 mkinitram
 mkmodloop

I'm not sure if apkbuild-pypi.in is cruft or work-in-progress.

Q2. Shall we "git rm" some of these files?

--
Dubiousjim
dubiousjim@gmail.com

<20130703200339.336b66e0@ncopa-laptop.res.nor.wtbts.net>
In-Reply-To
<20130703143417.GG1550@zen> (view parent)
On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:34:17 -0400
Dubiousjim <dubiousjim@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking at the Makefile inside the abuild git repo, I see a target
> "dist", which rolls up a source repository. However, I guess we're
> actually not using "make dist", because what that target rolls up is incomplete
> (it omits abuild-tar.c abuild-sudo.c functions.sh aports.lua, which
> are all required to "make install"). Also, what actually gets downloaded
> if you go to $APORTS/main/abuild and do "abuild fetch" includes
> .gitignore and so on.
>
> Q1. I have to tinker with the Makefile anyway in some patches I'll be
> sending. Should I add the missing files to the dist target?

I'd rather remove the 'dist' target and generate archives with git
archive (from git hook or via cgit)

> There are a lot of files in the abuild git repo that aren't installed,
> and I think at least some of them are cruft. Perhaps others are
> work-in-progress.
>
> bootchartd and initramfs-init seem to lag behind the versions in the
> mkinitfs repo, which are what we actually install.
>
> Perhaps these files are also cruft:
>  APKBUILD-svn.proto
>  alpine.mk
>  alpine.packages

those are cruft and can be removed.

>  cmp-apks-iso

this might be useful. It generates a diff of the apks/ repos in 2 isos.
Not sure if we ship this in the alpine-iso.git repo or not.

It generates those:
http://nl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v2.6/releases/x86/alpine-2.6.1-2.6.2.pkgdiff

>  mkinitram
>  mkmodloop

I think we can remove those.

> I'm not sure if apkbuild-pypi.in is cruft or work-in-progress.

I think its work in progress. I think it was supposed to generate
apkbuilds from pypi.

> Q2. Shall we "git rm" some of these files?

remove:

  APKBUILD-svn.proto
  alpine.mk
  alpine.packages
  mkinitram
  mkmodloop

if cmp-apks-iso is in alpine-iso.git, then remove it to. if not, then
maybe move it there?

Thanks!

<20130704171321.GL1550@zen>
In-Reply-To
<20130703200339.336b66e0@ncopa-laptop.res.nor.wtbts.net> (view parent)
On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 08:03:39PM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:34:17 -0400
> Dubiousjim <dubiousjim@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd rather remove the 'dist' target and generate archives with git
> archive (from git hook or via cgit)
>
> > There are a lot of files in the abuild git repo that aren't installed,
> > and I think at least some of them are cruft. Perhaps others are
> > work-in-progress.
> >
> > bootchartd and initramfs-init seem to lag behind the versions in the
> > mkinitfs repo, which are what we actually install.

> > Q2. Shall we "git rm" some of these files?
>
> remove:
>
>   APKBUILD-svn.proto
>   alpine.mk
>   alpine.packages
>   mkinitram
>   mkmodloop
>
> if cmp-apks-iso is in alpine-iso.git, then remove it to. if not, then
> maybe move it there?

Hi Natanael, what about the bootchartd and initramfs-init? They really
seem to be obsolete versions of what's now in mkinitfs.

--
Dubiousjim
dubiousjim@gmail.com