[alpine-devel] Quagga setup bug

<52205957.4090800@gmail.com>
Hello,

It seems that when installing quagga the /etc/quagga dir
is owned by root.root but it should be quagga.root

Thank's
Harry

<20130830112719.06a9588c@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<52205957.4090800@gmail.com> (view parent)
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:35:35 +0300
HL <freemail.grharry@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that when installing quagga the /etc/quagga dir
> is owned by root.root but it should be quagga.root

Are you sure? quagga should not edit the config files itself, should it?

<52206A50.1030909@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20130830112719.06a9588c@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
On 30/08/2013 12:27 μμ, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:35:35 +0300
> HL <freemail.grharry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> It seems that when installing quagga the /etc/quagga dir
>> is owned by root.root but it should be quagga.root
> Are you sure? quagga should not edit the config files itself, should it?
>
> -nc
Yes ...
for instance ...

Quagga programs have an interface similar to cisco

telnet localhost zebra ...
enable
conf terminal
bla bla bla
write

and the zebra process should be able to write the conf etc ...

<20130830152425.53614bd6@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<52206A50.1030909@gmail.com> (view parent)
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:48:00 +0300
HL <freemail.grharry@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30/08/2013 12:27 μμ, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:35:35 +0300
> > HL <freemail.grharry@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> It seems that when installing quagga the /etc/quagga dir
> >> is owned by root.root but it should be quagga.root
> > Are you sure? quagga should not edit the config files itself, should it?
> >
> > -nc
> Yes ...
> for instance ...
>
> Quagga programs have an interface similar to cisco
>
> telnet localhost zebra ...
> enable
> conf terminal
> bla bla bla
> write
>
> and the zebra process should be able to write the conf etc ...

I checked what fedora does:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/quagga.git/tree/quagga.spec#n131

Basically, they make zebra.conf and vtysh.conf owned by quagga from
post-install script. They don't let quagga:quagga create new files or
delete existing by setting the permission on /etc/quagga. Instead,
quagga user can only edit existing files.

basically, it is up to the creator of the files and quagga package does
not create them. Maybe it should?

<20130830162456.1aab4d05@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<20130830164933.7563c2f1@vostro> (view parent)
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 16:49:33 +0300
Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:24:25 +0200
> Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:48:00 +0300
> > HL <freemail.grharry@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yes ...
> > > for instance ...
> > >
> > > Quagga programs have an interface similar to cisco
> > >
> > > telnet localhost zebra ...
> > > enable
> > > conf terminal
> > > bla bla bla
> > > write
> > >
> > > and the zebra process should be able to write the conf etc ...
> > >

> > I checked what fedora does:
> > http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/quagga.git/tree/quagga.spec#n131
> >
> > Basically, they make zebra.conf and vtysh.conf owned by quagga from
> > post-install script. They don't let quagga:quagga create new files or
> > delete existing by setting the permission on /etc/quagga. Instead,
> > quagga user can only edit existing files.
> >
> > basically, it is up to the creator of the files and quagga package
> > does not create them. Maybe it should?
>
> I thought quagga writes first a temp file to same dir, and then renames
> it as the original filename. I needed to make the dir writable to
> quagga because of this in many installs.

ok, lets chown quagga /etc/quagga then to keep things simple.

Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<20130830152425.53614bd6@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:24:25 +0200
Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:48:00 +0300
> HL <freemail.grharry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 30/08/2013 12:27 μμ, Natanael Copa wrote:

> > > Are you sure? quagga should not edit the config files itself,
> > > should it?
> > >
> > > -nc
> > Yes ...
> > for instance ...
> >
> > Quagga programs have an interface similar to cisco
> >
> > telnet localhost zebra ...
> > enable
> > conf terminal
> > bla bla bla
> > write
> >
> > and the zebra process should be able to write the conf etc ...
> >

> I checked what fedora does:
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/quagga.git/tree/quagga.spec#n131
>
> Basically, they make zebra.conf and vtysh.conf owned by quagga from
> post-install script. They don't let quagga:quagga create new files or
> delete existing by setting the permission on /etc/quagga. Instead,
> quagga user can only edit existing files.
>
> basically, it is up to the creator of the files and quagga package
> does not create them. Maybe it should?

I thought quagga writes first a temp file to same dir, and then renames
it as the original filename. I needed to make the dir writable to
quagga because of this in many installs.

- Timo