[alpine-devel] Can't boot from USB stick

<CACaqnaQPcTkqj+kXO1we-=cU0ZnEL881FYUj6Ws2KdbZRnHBCw@mail.gmail.com>
(sorry for the double post - gmail shortcut keys sent the incomplete
previous one)

Hello: I am attempting to run AlpineLinux 2.5.0 for the first time.  My
only means of an HDD install is via a USB stick to boot from (and then run
the installer scripts afterwards).  It is an 8 GB stick, if that matters.
 I've attempted to create the USB boot device via multiple means in the
wiki.  The only successful one for me was the Universal USB Installer
method from Windows.

I constantly get the error "Mounting boot media failed" when booting off of
the USB stick.  I've attempted to follow the steps outlined in the
"Troubleshooting" part:

http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Create_a_Bootable_USB#Wrong_Device_Name

/ # cat /proc/partitions
major minor   #blocks  name

/#

^- shows nothing when the HDDs are disconnected.

The following screen always shows:

SYSLINUX 4.06 EDD
boot:
[     0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed
Alpine Init 2.5.0-r0
Mounting boot media failed.
initramfs emergency recovery shell launched. Type 'exit...
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
/ #

System setup:

Intel S3200SHC Server board
Intel Core 2 Q9450
8GB ECC DDR2 ram
2x WD 146GB VelocityRaptors (attempting RAID1 in LSI mode for the Intel RST)
8GB USB stick (to install from)

I've attempted all sorts of configurations in the BIOS.  From
enabled/disabling ECC, changing from RAID to AHCI to ATA modes, forcing
emulation of the USB Disk (my USB stick) as cdrom and harddrive emulations,
physically disconnected the HDDs, etc.

Here's the odd things:

1) When configured for RAID1, and connecting the HDDs, two do show up:

/ # cat /proc/partitions
major minor   #blocks  name
8           0 146523384  sda
8          16 146523384  sdb

Even odder, if constantly run "cat /proc/partitions", it always shows just
those two drives.  But, if I start changing directories and looking around,
and later run "cat /proc/partitions", then then shows up:

/ # cat /proc/partitions
major minor   #blocks  name
8           0 146523384  sda
8          16 146523384  sdb
8          32   8017920  sdc

Could this be a timing issue?  Taking several minutes until the USB stick
shows up?

Digging deeper, it is indeed identified as "/dev/usbdisk" as well as
"/dev/usba1", both as links to "/dev/sdc".

I've modified the syslinux.cfg multiple times for "sda", "sdb", "sdc".
 I've inserted time outs of up to 60 seconds, etc.  Again, while RAID/AHCI
enabled/disabled, disconnected, etc.  Nothing gets me past this screen.

I am going to try to find an old 4 GB USB stick.  But I am at a lost here.
 Any help is appreciated.

-Eric
<CACaqnaSXAtPg+Tj2+Op+6cer4vT7HF1UWREV4smwbTRKn_Zsig@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<52459ED2.4090808@gmail.com> (view parent)
Thank you.  Yes, I followed the manual to the letter.

I ended up using another USB stick that worked fine on the first go.  It
must have been a bad stick as I have had other odd issues with it since (so
i trashed it / no warranty).

I'm up on alpine now but didn't realize the manual process of configuring
for a router (so used to DD-WRT and normal router web UIs).  I did get the
web GUI up and all the normal packages installed and showing up on the
web.  Just need to set aside another afternoon to work on it again as I
haven't setup a *nux router or route tables since the mid 90s and need to
rack my brain.

Thanks for reading!
-E
On Sep 27, 2013 11:05 AM, "HL" <freemail.grharry@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> just those two drives.  But, if I start changing directories and looking
> around, and later run "cat /proc/partitions", then then shows up:
>
>  / # cat /proc/partitions
> major minor   #blocks  name
> 8           0 146523384  sda
>  8          16 146523384  sdb
> 8          32   8017920  sdc
>
>  Could this be a timing issue?  Taking several minutes until the USB
> stick shows up?
>
>  Digging deeper, it is indeed identified as "/dev/usbdisk" as well as
> "/dev/usba1", both as links to "/dev/sdc".
>
>  I've modified the syslinux.cfg multiple times for "sda", "sdb", "sdc".
>  I've inserted time outs of up to 60 seconds, etc.  Again, while RAID/AHCI
> enabled/disabled, disconnected, etc.  Nothing gets me past this screen.
>
>  I am going to try to find an old 4 GB USB stick.  But I am at a lost

<52459ED2.4090808@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CACaqnaQPcTkqj+kXO1we-=cU0ZnEL881FYUj6Ws2KdbZRnHBCw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
> [...]

> just those two drives.  But, if I start changing directories and
> looking around, and later run "cat /proc/partitions", then then shows up:
>
> / # cat /proc/partitions
> major minor   #blocks  name
> 8           0 146523384  sda
> 8  16 146523384  sdb
> 8          32   8017920  sdc
>
> Could this be a timing issue?  Taking several minutes until the USB
> stick shows up?
>
> Digging deeper, it is indeed identified as "/dev/usbdisk" as well as
> "/dev/usba1", both as links to "/dev/sdc".
>
> I've modified the syslinux.cfg multiple times for "sda", "sdb", "sdc".
>  I've inserted time outs of up to 60 seconds, etc.  Again, while
> RAID/AHCI enabled/disabled, disconnected, etc.  Nothing gets me past
> this screen.
>
> I am going to try to find an old 4 GB USB stick.  But I am at a lost

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)