[alpine-devel] apk robustness

Leslie P. Polzer | PORT ZERO <polzer@port-zero.com>
<52B70DFA.7010601@port-zero.com>

how robust is apk? Consider a system upgrade with a couple
of packages that is interrupted by a power outage. Will it
leave the system in a sane state, guaranteed?

I think the answer is no, but I'll be happy to know more about
this.

  Leslie

--
Dipl.Ing.(BA) Leslie P. Polzer | CTO - PORT ZERO
UG (haftungsbeschränkt)

Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<20131222204613.5208fe57@vostro>
In-Reply-To
<52B70DFA.7010601@port-zero.com> (view parent)
On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 17:06:18 +0100
"Leslie P. Polzer | PORT ZERO" <polzer@port-zero.com> wrote:

> how robust is apk? Consider a system upgrade with a couple
> of packages that is interrupted by a power outage. Will it
> leave the system in a sane state, guaranteed?
>
> I think the answer is no, but I'll be happy to know more about
> this.

It is not fully guaranteed. Considering apk was originally built for
the run-from-ram situation, this is not a major issue. But now that we
are having more and more run-from-harddisk setups, it might need to be
revisited.

Basically the apk database is updated only once at the end - so the
situation will be that apk thinks nothing was done, even if some
packages got updated. Next apk update will start thinking that some
packages were not updated.

So no, the apk db is not corrupted. But yes, it will not reflect the
system status exactly.

- Timo