[alpine-devel] HPLIP on Alpine

Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy@thomersonfamily.com>
<CADVmKVANQtLgS7Sak=ubo5ujuxBfYHLaqQgm=2mxZZJqXHdN9Q@mail.gmail.com>
Anyone ever tried setting up an HP printer on Alpine? I have an OfficeJet
Pro L7680 that I wanted to try to set up so that you could AirPrint to it.
It seems that if you can get a CUPS server configured to print to your
printer you can then use Avahi to provide AirPrint functionality (see [1]).

I have Avahi already running for other dnssd/mdns stuff, so that part
shouldn't be hard. And installing CUPS and configuring it was a breeze on
Alpine. But I couldn't seem to get my printer working with CUPS. I think
that HPLIP must be required.

Has anyone had any experience with setting up a print server on Alpine with
HP printers? Did you need HPLIP? How hard is it to package something like
that? (I'm not good at Linux packaging, but I could give it a shot).

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/avahi#Airprint_from_Mobile_Devices

Jeremy Thomerson
<20131223163132.16fd9e62@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<CADVmKVANQtLgS7Sak=ubo5ujuxBfYHLaqQgm=2mxZZJqXHdN9Q@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 15:39:01 -0500
Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:

> Anyone ever tried setting up an HP printer on Alpine? I have an OfficeJet
> Pro L7680 that I wanted to try to set up so that you could AirPrint to it.
> It seems that if you can get a CUPS server configured to print to your
> printer you can then use Avahi to provide AirPrint functionality (see [1]).
>
> I have Avahi already running for other dnssd/mdns stuff, so that part
> shouldn't be hard. And installing CUPS and configuring it was a breeze on
> Alpine. But I couldn't seem to get my printer working with CUPS. I think
> that HPLIP must be required.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with setting up a print server on Alpine with
> HP printers? Did you need HPLIP? How hard is it to package something like
> that? (I'm not good at Linux packaging, but I could give it a shot).
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/avahi#Airprint_from_Mobile_Devices
>
> Jeremy Thomerson

I have used (old) hp printers with the generic postscript driver.

I doubt all printers can do that. I think we want a package for hplip.