[alpine-devel] Alpine 3.0.0 Release candidate 1 is out

<20140522152524.54d6371e@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>

I have tagged release candidate 1 for our upcoming v3.0.0 release.

The 3.0 release will be the first official release with musl as the
libc.

It would be nice if we focus on fixing as many of the remaining
issues[1] and test the release candidate[2].

Thanks!

-nc

1: http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/projects/alpine/issues?fixed_version_id=71&set_filter=1&status_id=o
2: http://nl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.0/releases/

<CAKv362uvZ2G2dSf8xTJDTvtYN6Caec_jLTiPN-OOhU71X2LJmA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20140522152524.54d6371e@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
just testing the x64 rc1 3.0.0. release, looks like the initial alpine
mirrors list is missing or I've been dumb:

====
me@someserver:~# setup-apkrepos
ERROR: unsatisfiable constraints:
  .setup-apkrepos-0
    masked in: cache
    satisfies: world[.setup-apkrepos]
  alpine-mirrors (missing):
    required by:
r) Add random from the above list
f) Detect and add fastest mirror from the above list
e) Edit /etc/apk/repositories with text editor

Enter mirror number (1-0) or URL to add (or r/f/e/done) [f]:
====

This is a sys install.  So far everything else works like a dream :)

--
Chris Spillane
<537E0253.5030000@arcor.de>
In-Reply-To
<20140522152524.54d6371e@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Hi Natanael,

On 22/05/14 15:25, Natanael Copa wrote:
> 1: http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/projects/alpine/issues?fixed_version_id=71&set_filter=1&status_id=o
I'd like to add bug #2836, which I unfortunately forgot to tag for
target version 3.0. Should be an easy fix, anyway.

Skimming through the list, I didn't find anything I could offer any
particular help with.

Sorry, Tiger

<20140522170457.2d66a9dc@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<CAKv362uvZ2G2dSf8xTJDTvtYN6Caec_jLTiPN-OOhU71X2LJmA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Thu, 22 May 2014 15:34:46 +0100
Chris Spillane <chris.spillane@gmail.com> wrote:

> just testing the x64 rc1 3.0.0. release, looks like the initial alpine
> mirrors list is missing or I've been dumb:

I doubt you have been dumb. I'll check this up tomorrow.

Thanks!

> ====
> me@someserver:~# setup-apkrepos
> ERROR: unsatisfiable constraints:
>   .setup-apkrepos-0
>     masked in: cache
>     satisfies: world[.setup-apkrepos]
>   alpine-mirrors (missing):
>     required by:
> r) Add random from the above list
> f) Detect and add fastest mirror from the above list
> e) Edit /etc/apk/repositories with text editor
>
> Enter mirror number (1-0) or URL to add (or r/f/e/done) [f]:
> ====
>
> This is a sys install.  So far everything else works like a dream :)

Timo Teräs <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<1400774479.16710.2.camel@Nokia-N900>
In-Reply-To
<20140522170457.2d66a9dc@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
On Thu May 22 2014 06:04:57 PM EEST, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 May 2014 15:34:46 +0100
> Chris Spillane <chris.spillane@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > just testing the x64 rc1 3.0.0. release, looks like the initial alpine
> > mirrors list is missing or I've been dumb:
>
> I doubt you have been dumb. I'll check this up tomorrow.
>
> Thanks!
>

> > ====
> > me@someserver:~# setup-apkrepos
> > ERROR: unsatisfiable constraints:
> > .setup-apkrepos-0
> > masked in: cache
> > satisfies: world[.setup-apkrepos]
> > alpine-mirrors (missing):
> > required by:
> > r) Add random from the above list
> > f) Detect and add fastest mirror from the above list
> > e) Edit /etc/apk/repositories with text editor
> >
> > Enter mirror number (1-0) or URL to add (or r/f/e/done) [f]:
> > ====
> >
> > This is a sys install.   So far everything else works like a dream :)

Urgh. This is probably caused be the other fix I did for apk-tools.

I wonder why abuild works. I'll fix this today/tomorrow.

Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<20140523084209.60d4e787@vostro>
In-Reply-To
<1400774479.16710.2.camel@Nokia-N900> (view parent)
On Thu, 22 May 2014 19:01:19 +0300
Timo Teräs <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Thu May 22 2014 06:04:57 PM EEST, Natanael Copa
> <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 May 2014 15:34:46 +0100
> > Chris Spillane <chris.spillane@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > me@someserver:~# setup-apkrepos
> > > ERROR: unsatisfiable constraints:
> > > .setup-apkrepos-0
> > > masked in: cache
> > > satisfies: world[.setup-apkrepos]
> > > alpine-mirrors (missing):
> > > required by:
> > > r) Add random from the above list
> > > f) Detect and add fastest mirror from the above list
> > > e) Edit /etc/apk/repositories with text editor
> > >
> > > Enter mirror number (1-0) or URL to add (or r/f/e/done) [f]:
> > > ====
> > >
> > > This is a sys install.   So far everything else works like a
> > > dream :)
>
> Urgh. This is probably caused be the other fix I did for apk-tools.
>
> I wonder why abuild works. I'll fix this today/tomorrow.

False alarm. I misread the error message. In fact, what I thought that
broke, is covered in test suite :)

This just likely that 'alpine-mirrors' is not included in the .iso
image.

Chris, which variant of the .iso you tried? The regular one or the
'mini' variant?

- Timo

<20140527165305.2ba5d0a6@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<20140523084209.60d4e787@vostro> (view parent)
On Fri, 23 May 2014 08:42:09 +0300
Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 May 2014 19:01:19 +0300
> Timo Teräs <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > On Thu May 22 2014 06:04:57 PM EEST, Natanael Copa
> > <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> > Urgh. This is probably caused be the other fix I did for apk-tools.
> >
> > I wonder why abuild works. I'll fix this today/tomorrow.
>
> False alarm. I misread the error message. In fact, what I thought that
> broke, is covered in test suite :)
>
> This just likely that 'alpine-mirrors' is not included in the .iso
> image.

No, the alpine-mirrors package is there. What happens is this:
# apk add --quiet --virtual .setup-apkrepos alpine-mirrors
ERROR: You tried to add a non-repository package to system, but it
would be lost on next reboot. Enable package caching (apk cache --help)
or use --force if you know what you are doing.

Apparently apk-tools tries to be smarter than me and tries to protect
me from doing something stupid, but does not know that the entire idea
with using --virtual is that its only supposed to be installed
temporarily and hold a lock on the temp installed packages so nobody
can apk del them while they are in use.

This was introduced with:
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/alpine-conf/commit/?id=291d078e8fdef55793792096c2a8b02dd545c166

I suppose I will have to revert to the 'racy' behaviour. (or we add yet
another exception for the tmpfs safety check in apk-tools)

-nc