[alpine-devel] Logo v2 - fewer colors

<20140515225850.183f72fc@ncopa-laptop>

I forwarded the summary of the comments to Tobias and he has made a
version 2.

The changes are:
* use a single color of the icon part
* little bit darker (and stronger?) 'linux'
* separate the front mountain from the one behind in a try to reduce
  the 'M' effect and make it look more like an 'A' or mountains
* the final 'e' is more rounded

http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/attachments/download/162/Alpine_Linux_logo_black_white_v1.pdf
http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/attachments/download/163/Alpine_Linux_logo_v4.pdf

In my opinion, previous version was great. This is even better :)

<53754F9A.8000500@arcor.de>
In-Reply-To
<20140515225850.183f72fc@ncopa-laptop> (view parent)
Hi Natanael,

> I forwarded the summary of the comments to Tobias and he has made a
> version 2.
Great job!

Version 2 is certainly better suited and can very well be used on screen
as well as on paper. While version 1 was very sophisticated and
beautiful, it would have been really difficult to print on paper or to
shrink it to low resolution without loosing most of its nice features.

Going through those G00gle searches you posted earlier, I found many of
the existing "Alpine" logos of other companies used blue and green
colourations. If, as Carlo suggested, the Alpine Linux brand wants to
set itself apart from car stereo and mountain equipment manufacturers,
this should be taken into consideration when choosing colours for the
logo. Though, it might be difficult to find any other colour than blue
to fit both, the logo and the website colour scheme. Bordeaux and red
would result in pinkish colours when brightened for background
colouration of the website. Orange is very popular these days, but very
bright and leads to violently clashy website designs (e.g. the previous
Asterisk website before the last major rework). Yellow has no contrast
on white backgrounds and websites in greys look like advertisements of a
funeral home.

Live Long and Prosper, Tiger

<CAFaTuVYmZiQ-HsQfHspshT2GjMQHWmwvpt1Opn+XCYA1c+vLAA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20140515225850.183f72fc@ncopa-laptop> (view parent)
Hi all,

Great job! But... I still prefer the previous version. Yet, mong those new
ones I best like the blue.
I dont think having more than one color is a problem. Look:
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1311499343/debian-square.png
But it is not mandatory - of course.

:wq!
alacerda

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I forwarded the summary of the comments to Tobias and he has made a
> version 2.
>
> The changes are:
> * use a single color of the icon part
> * little bit darker (and stronger?) 'linux'
> * separate the front mountain from the one behind in a try to reduce
>   the 'M' effect and make it look more like an 'A' or mountains
> * the final 'e' is more rounded
>

> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/attachments/download/162/Alpine_Linux_logo_black_white_v1.pdf
>
> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/attachments/download/163/Alpine_Linux_logo_v4.pdf
>
> In my opinion, previous version was great. This is even better :)
>

> -nc
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

*The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
And if you really don't like all the standards you just have to wait
another year until the one arises you are looking for. -- A. Tanenbaum,
"Introduction to Computer Networks"*
Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter@gmail.com>
<CA+cSEmN6j76eK-XbN6KfJh80U7JHuTSw-snF5YZSzVDGowxeEg@mail.gmail.com>
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 10:58 PM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I forwarded the summary of the comments to Tobias and he has made a
> version 2.
>
> The changes are:
> * use a single color of the icon part
> * little bit darker (and stronger?) 'linux'
> * separate the front mountain from the one behind in a try to reduce
>   the 'M' effect and make it look more like an 'A' or mountains
> * the final 'e' is more rounded

Have you thought/asked about moving the dot in the first mountain to the
center, so it looks more like an A?
It would also like the left side of the mountain is continuing (not sure if
thats nice or not).

> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/attachments/download/162/Alpine_Linux_logo_black_white_v1.pdf
>
> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/attachments/download/163/Alpine_Linux_logo_v4.pdf
>
> In my opinion, previous version was great. This is even better :)
>

> -nc
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

<20140520144022.7aecf279@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<CA+cSEmN6j76eK-XbN6KfJh80U7JHuTSw-snF5YZSzVDGowxeEg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Fri, 16 May 2014 10:15:03 +0200
Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 10:58 PM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I forwarded the summary of the comments to Tobias and he has made a
> > version 2.
> >
> > The changes are:
> > * use a single color of the icon part
> > * little bit darker (and stronger?) 'linux'
> > * separate the front mountain from the one behind in a try to reduce
> >   the 'M' effect and make it look more like an 'A' or mountains
> > * the final 'e' is more rounded
> >

> Have you thought/asked about moving the dot in the first mountain to the
> center, so it looks more like an A?

That was what I was thinking too, but apparently Tobias didn't :)

<CAFaTuVbH_rc6vUQhWhkUPafyHWSP_GaAm=EWJ_cLJv6WMWQP7g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20140520144022.7aecf279@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Hello all,

Any news about this?

Best regards,
--
Atenciosamente,
Alan Messias Cordeiro

*The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
And if you really don't like all the standards you just have to wait
another year until the one arises you are looking for. -- A. Tanenbaum,
"Introduction to Computer Networks"*
<CAKv362u-yR529tsYR7Va+m9s63JuOdPEfnGDjVmjKCVpzsTfiQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAFaTuVbH_rc6vUQhWhkUPafyHWSP_GaAm=EWJ_cLJv6WMWQP7g@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
My vote goes to
http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/attachments/download/162/Alpine_Linux_logo_black_white_v1.pdf
- the one at the top of the PDF (black text, black hexagon, white image
within).

On 9 June 2014 12:12, Alan Messias <alancordeiro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Any news about this?
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Atenciosamente,
> Alan Messias Cordeiro
>
> *The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
> And if you really don't like all the standards you just have to wait
> another year until the one arises you are looking for. -- A. Tanenbaum,
> "Introduction to Computer Networks"*

--
Chris Spillane
<20140609223554.24ef5f3f@ncopa-laptop>
In-Reply-To
<CAFaTuVbH_rc6vUQhWhkUPafyHWSP_GaAm=EWJ_cLJv6WMWQP7g@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 08:12:40 -0300
Alan Messias <alancordeiro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Any news about this?
>
> Best regards,

Tobias wanted make a new version of the icon based on the latest
feedback (make it look even more as an A) but he has been busy (I dont
pay him to work on it so I don't want put preasure)

<20140609224014.19bb9a57@ncopa-laptop>
In-Reply-To
<CAKv362u-yR529tsYR7Va+m9s63JuOdPEfnGDjVmjKCVpzsTfiQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 13:04:59 +0100
Chris Spillane <chris.spillane@gmail.com> wrote:

> My vote goes to
> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/attachments/download/162/Alpine_Linux_logo_black_white_v1.pdf
> - the one at the top of the PDF (black text, black hexagon, white image
> within).

Yes. I think this is more than good enough. It is always possible to
make variants and he sent me some really good variants with ice look
which I currently use as desktop background.

I have also started to play with a simple static webpage generator
using Lua. I think we should launch new logo together with new website.

-nc