[alpine-devel] Why does klogd provide logger?

Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com>
<20140708041909.GA2456@newbook>
Hello,
I noticed a week or two ago that
service crond start
would start klogd and not syslogd; since klogd only logs kernel messages and
syslogd logs application messages, I decided to investigate.

It appears that both the klogd and syslog services provide logger, but
syslog needs klogd.

So I'm wondering: shouldn't syslog be the only service providing logger,
since klogd doesn't listen to applications?

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham

<20140708143132.4094c18b@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<20140708041909.GA2456@newbook> (view parent)
On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 21:19:09 -0700
Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I noticed a week or two ago that
> service crond start
> would start klogd and not syslogd; since klogd only logs kernel messages and
> syslogd logs application messages, I decided to investigate.
>
> It appears that both the klogd and syslog services provide logger, but
> syslog needs klogd.
>
> So I'm wondering: shouldn't syslog be the only service providing logger,
> since klogd doesn't listen to applications?

I think you are right. This is a bug.

<20140715165547.7d416775@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<20140708041909.GA2456@newbook> (view parent)
On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 21:19:09 -0700
Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I noticed a week or two ago that
> service crond start
> would start klogd and not syslogd; since klogd only logs kernel messages and
> syslogd logs application messages, I decided to investigate.
>
> It appears that both the klogd and syslog services provide logger, but
> syslog needs klogd.
>
> So I'm wondering: shouldn't syslog be the only service providing logger,
> since klogd doesn't listen to applications?

I pushed a fix to edge, busybox-initscript-2.2-r21. could you please
verify that it works as expected?

Thanks!

http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/3156