[alpine-devel] Shorewall in 3.0.4

<f6227532f1a220ad8fb1480eb006ac5d@tropicdreams.net>
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to migrate some firewall machines running AlpineLinux 2.7
to AlpineLinux 3.0.4

Maybe I make a mistake but

On alpine 2.7 I have :

apk search shorewall -==>

shorewall-core-4.5.21.3-r0
shorewall-common-4.2.11-r3
shorewall-shell-4.2.11-r6
shorewall6-4.5.21.3-r0
shorewall6-doc-4.5.21.3-r0
shorewall-4.5.21.3-r0
acf-shorewall-0.10.0-r0
shorewall-common-doc-4.2.11-r3
shorewall-doc-4.5.21.3-r0

On the fresh 3.0.4 I got this only :

shorewall-common-4.2.11-r3
shorewall-shell-4.2.11-r6
acf-shorewall-0.11.0-r0
shorewall-common-doc-4.2.11-r3

Both boxes have the same /etc/apk/repositories configuration (just
version number changes in the mirror).
Is it normal or aren't the working 4.5 shorewall not yet in stable
alpine 3.0.4 ?

Thanks in advance and kind regards to all for the great job.

Nicolas.

<20140903081336.31bb5c2a@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<f6227532f1a220ad8fb1480eb006ac5d@tropicdreams.net> (view parent)
On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:07:19 +0200
Nicolas <lists@tropicdreams.net> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm planning to migrate some firewall machines running AlpineLinux 2.7
> to AlpineLinux 3.0.4
>
> Maybe I make a mistake but
>
> On alpine 2.7 I have :
>
> apk search shorewall -==>
>
> shorewall-core-4.5.21.3-r0
> shorewall-common-4.2.11-r3
> shorewall-shell-4.2.11-r6
> shorewall6-4.5.21.3-r0
> shorewall6-doc-4.5.21.3-r0
> shorewall-4.5.21.3-r0
> acf-shorewall-0.10.0-r0
> shorewall-common-doc-4.2.11-r3
> shorewall-doc-4.5.21.3-r0
>

> On the fresh 3.0.4 I got this only :
>

> shorewall-common-4.2.11-r3
> shorewall-shell-4.2.11-r6
> acf-shorewall-0.11.0-r0
> shorewall-common-doc-4.2.11-r3
>
> Both boxes have the same /etc/apk/repositories configuration (just
> version number changes in the mirror).
> Is it normal or aren't the working 4.5 shorewall not yet in stable
> alpine 3.0.4 ?

Latest shorewall does not build:
http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/2981

IIRC they have a static whitelist of known distros in configure script
and Alpine is not one those.

I believe it is easy to fix.

> Thanks in advance and kind regards to all for the great job.
>
> Nicolas.

<8f17a1227d6f286de4542c0486aa2704@tropicdreams.net>
In-Reply-To
<20140903081336.31bb5c2a@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Le 2014-09-03 08:13, Natanael Copa a écrit :
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:07:19 +0200
> Nicolas <lists@tropicdreams.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm planning to migrate some firewall machines running AlpineLinux 2.7
>> to AlpineLinux 3.0.4
>>
>> Maybe I make a mistake but
>>
>> On alpine 2.7 I have :
>>
>> apk search shorewall -==>
>>
>> shorewall-core-4.5.21.3-r0
>> shorewall-common-4.2.11-r3
>> shorewall-shell-4.2.11-r6
>> shorewall6-4.5.21.3-r0
>> shorewall6-doc-4.5.21.3-r0
>> shorewall-4.5.21.3-r0
>> acf-shorewall-0.10.0-r0
>> shorewall-common-doc-4.2.11-r3
>> shorewall-doc-4.5.21.3-r0
>>

>> On the fresh 3.0.4 I got this only :
>>

>> shorewall-common-4.2.11-r3
>> shorewall-shell-4.2.11-r6
>> acf-shorewall-0.11.0-r0
>> shorewall-common-doc-4.2.11-r3
>>
>> Both boxes have the same /etc/apk/repositories configuration (just
>> version number changes in the mirror).
>> Is it normal or aren't the working 4.5 shorewall not yet in stable
>> alpine 3.0.4 ?
>
> Latest shorewall does not build:
> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/2981
>
> IIRC they have a static whitelist of known distros in configure script
> and Alpine is not one those.
>
> I believe it is easy to fix.

Hi Natanel,

As you advised i had a look in the configure script of a shorewall
4.6.3.
First the script depends bash but that's not a problem for building.

The script tries to recognize the OS version based at begining on the ID
variable in /etc/os-release.
As you know (better than me) this is 'alpine' for an alpine.
Then it fails because it doesnt find a shorewallrc.alpine file.

If we consider alpine is like a generic linux a workaround is

ln -s shorewallrc.default shorewallrc.alpine

In the base directory of extracted shorewall.

The the configure passes. Maybe we could use a more specific rc file
based on debian or other.

Regards.

Nicolas.

>> Thanks in advance and kind regards to all for the great job.
>>
>> Nicolas.
>
> -nc

<20140904114145.1de777a1@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<8f17a1227d6f286de4542c0486aa2704@tropicdreams.net> (view parent)
On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 15:03:48 +0200
Nicolas <lists@tropicdreams.net> wrote:

> Le 2014-09-03 08:13, Natanael Copa a écrit :
> > On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:07:19 +0200
> > Nicolas <lists@tropicdreams.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> I'm planning to migrate some firewall machines running AlpineLinux 2.7
> >> to AlpineLinux 3.0.4
> >>
> >> Maybe I make a mistake but
> >>
> >> On alpine 2.7 I have :
> >>
> >> apk search shorewall -==>
> >>
> >> shorewall-core-4.5.21.3-r0
> >> shorewall-common-4.2.11-r3
> >> shorewall-shell-4.2.11-r6
> >> shorewall6-4.5.21.3-r0
> >> shorewall6-doc-4.5.21.3-r0
> >> shorewall-4.5.21.3-r0
> >> acf-shorewall-0.10.0-r0
> >> shorewall-common-doc-4.2.11-r3
> >> shorewall-doc-4.5.21.3-r0
> >>

> >> On the fresh 3.0.4 I got this only :
> >>

> >> shorewall-common-4.2.11-r3
> >> shorewall-shell-4.2.11-r6
> >> acf-shorewall-0.11.0-r0
> >> shorewall-common-doc-4.2.11-r3
> >>
> >> Both boxes have the same /etc/apk/repositories configuration (just
> >> version number changes in the mirror).
> >> Is it normal or aren't the working 4.5 shorewall not yet in stable
> >> alpine 3.0.4 ?
> >
> > Latest shorewall does not build:
> > http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/2981
> >
> > IIRC they have a static whitelist of known distros in configure script
> > and Alpine is not one those.
> >
> > I believe it is easy to fix.
>
> Hi Natanel,
>
> As you advised i had a look in the configure script of a shorewall
> 4.6.3.
> First the script depends bash but that's not a problem for building.
>
> The script tries to recognize the OS version based at begining on the ID
> variable in /etc/os-release.
> As you know (better than me) this is 'alpine' for an alpine.
> Then it fails because it doesnt find a shorewallrc.alpine file.
>
> If we consider alpine is like a generic linux a workaround is
>
> ln -s shorewallrc.default shorewallrc.alpine
>
> In the base directory of extracted shorewall.
>
> The the configure passes. Maybe we could use a more specific rc file
> based on debian or other.

I pushed it to edge/main with a custom shorewallrc.alpine.

Could you please do basic testing in edge and verify that it is not
totally non-functional. Then I can add it to the 3.0-stable.

Thanks!

<3c66461203d1d80f16a7cdeb8593fd6e@tropicdreams.net>
In-Reply-To
<20140904114145.1de777a1@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Le 2014-09-04 11:41, Natanael Copa a écrit :
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 15:03:48 +0200
> Nicolas <lists@tropicdreams.net> wrote:
>
>> Le 2014-09-03 08:13, Natanael Copa a écrit :

>> > Latest shorewall does not build:
>> > http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/2981
>> >
>> > IIRC they have a static whitelist of known distros in configure script
>> > and Alpine is not one those.
>> >
>> > I believe it is easy to fix.
>>
>> Hi Natanel,
>>
>> As you advised i had a look in the configure script of a shorewall
>> 4.6.3.
>> First the script depends bash but that's not a problem for building.
>>
>> The script tries to recognize the OS version based at begining on the
>> ID
>> variable in /etc/os-release.
>> As you know (better than me) this is 'alpine' for an alpine.
>> Then it fails because it doesnt find a shorewallrc.alpine file.
>>
>> If we consider alpine is like a generic linux a workaround is
>>
>> ln -s shorewallrc.default shorewallrc.alpine
>>
>> In the base directory of extracted shorewall.
>>
>> The the configure passes. Maybe we could use a more specific rc file
>> based on debian or other.
>
> I pushed it to edge/main with a custom shorewallrc.alpine.
>
> Could you please do basic testing in edge and verify that it is not
> totally non-functional. Then I can add it to the 3.0-stable.

I made test on a fresh out-of-box Alpine 3.0.4.
Shorewall 4.6.3 installs with dependencies (perl, iproute2).

I made a basic configuration
Command works. rc-service shorewall commands work fine.
rc-update add shorewall too
After a lbu commit and reboot shorewall is ok with my rules.

I believe this is quite a good news !

If you could add shorewall6 too it would be nice.

Regards,

> Thanks!
>
> -nc

<20140904152651.630072f1@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<3c66461203d1d80f16a7cdeb8593fd6e@tropicdreams.net> (view parent)
On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 14:01:49 +0200
Nicolas <lists@tropicdreams.net> wrote:

> I made test on a fresh out-of-box Alpine 3.0.4.
> Shorewall 4.6.3 installs with dependencies (perl, iproute2).
>
> I made a basic configuration
> Command works. rc-service shorewall commands work fine.
> rc-update add shorewall too
> After a lbu commit and reboot shorewall is ok with my rules.
>
> I believe this is quite a good news !

Nice!

I have pushed shorewall and shorewall6 to 3.0-stable.

Thank you very much for help with testing!

[alpine-devel] Re: Shorewall in 3.0.4 & v3.0.6-17-g111133a

<547CEB54.4050004@yahoo.ca>
In-Reply-To
<20140904152651.630072f1@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
> I have pushed shorewall and shorewall6 to 3.0-stable.
> Thank you very much for help with testing!
> -nc

Hi, Many thanks for a great software.
'apk add shorewall' then 'apk add acf-shorewall' resulted in many error messages and acf-shorewall tries to overwrite shorewall-4.6.3.2-r0.
Cheers!

Re: [alpine-devel] Re: Shorewall in 3.0.4 & v3.0.6-17-g111133a

<20141202083147.69469adf@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<547CEB54.4050004@yahoo.ca> (view parent)
On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 17:27:32 -0500
n22e113 <n22e113@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> > I have pushed shorewall and shorewall6 to 3.0-stable.
> > Thank you very much for help with testing!
> > -nc
> >
> Hi, Many thanks for a great software.
> 'apk add shorewall' then 'apk add acf-shorewall' resulted in many error messages and acf-shorewall tries to overwrite shorewall-4.6.3.2-r0.
> Cheers!

acf-shorewall is still using the old shell implementation of shorewall
(shorewall-shell). It has not been ported to shorewall perl yet.

apk del shorewall
apk add acf-shorewall

should pull in the proper deps.

That said, support for shorewall-shell is completely dropped in v3.1 so
it might be an idea to test acf-shorewall for v3.1 to find out what
needs to be fixed. (but i doubt anyone care...)

[alpine-devel] Re: Shorewall in 3.0.4 & v3.0.6-17-g111133a

<547DE00F.9070008@yahoo.ca>
In-Reply-To
<79481268.3794018.1417527445144.JavaMail.yahoo@jws106100.mail.bf1.yahoo.com> (view parent)
On 12/2/2014 08:37, Ted Trask wrote:
> I vote for removing acf-shorewall from the 3.1 release. I do not have intentions of making it work with shorewall (instead of with shorewall-shell). I would recommend people switch to awall and acf-awall.

Form: http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/How-To_Alpine_Wall
Quote: "This material is work-in-progress ...
Do not follow instructions here until this notice is removed.
(Last edited by Larena on 17 Sep 2014.)"
Q. Any reliable docs for newbies?

<20141202083147.69469adf@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
I vote for removing acf-shorewall from the 3.1 release. I do not have intentions of making it work with shorewall (instead of with shorewall-shell). I would recommend people switch to awall and acf-awall.
Ted
> > I have pushed shorewall and shorewall6 to 3.0-stable.
> > Thank you very much for help with testing!
> > -nc
> >
> Hi, Many thanks for a great software.
> 'apk add shorewall' then 'apk add acf-shorewall' resulted in many error messages and acf-shorewall tries to overwrite shorewall-4.6.3.2-r0.
> Cheers!

acf-shorewall is still using the old shell implementation of shorewall
(shorewall-shell). It has not been ported to shorewall perl yet.

apk del shorewall
apk add acf-shorewall

should pull in the proper deps.

That said, support for shorewall-shell is completely dropped in v3.1 so
it might be an idea to test acf-shorewall for v3.1 to find out what
needs to be fixed. (but i doubt anyone care...)

Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:        alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---

Re: [alpine-devel] Re: Shorewall in 3.0.4 & v3.0.6-17-g111133a

<1329602692.3676817.1417545158831.JavaMail.yahoo@jws10637.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>
In-Reply-To
<547DE00F.9070008@yahoo.ca> (view parent)
I think that document is good to go. Not sure why that note is still there.
Ted