[alpine-devel] [RFC] First draft: add Tkinter to python

Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com>
<20140903204421.GA1780@newbook>
Hello,
I'm trying to get Tkinter in python; while I know that needs to wait for
tk to move to main, I'm not sure how to get the whole thing working right.

The biggest problem is that Tkinter needs Tk, which ultimately needs
libxcb, which in turn has python in makedepends.
But I'm not sure what's a good way to handle that.

Also, this would make quite a few things ultimately depend on X11.

Here is a patch that works to build Tkinter when PYTHON_TK is not set to
"false".

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham
Eivind Uggedal <eivind@uggedal.com>
<CAM-O=1DNt6U52sxOzsSYfhZdDsgQ7tRwChBvfrsR9OU3Jc=rPg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20140903204421.GA1780@newbook> (view parent)
You could possibly look at how voidlinux handles the cyclic dependency
by splitting the package:

https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/blob/master/srcpkgs/python/template
https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/blob/master/srcpkgs/python-tkinter/template

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 10:44 PM, Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to get Tkinter in python; while I know that needs to wait for
> tk to move to main, I'm not sure how to get the whole thing working right.
>
> The biggest problem is that Tkinter needs Tk, which ultimately needs
> libxcb, which in turn has python in makedepends.
> But I'm not sure what's a good way to handle that.
>
> Also, this would make quite a few things ultimately depend on X11.
>
> Here is a patch that works to build Tkinter when PYTHON_TK is not set to
> "false".
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Isaac Dunham

<20140904111803.2b2a5356@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<CAM-O=1DNt6U52sxOzsSYfhZdDsgQ7tRwChBvfrsR9OU3Jc=rPg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 22:52:41 +0200
Eivind Uggedal <eivind@uggedal.com> wrote:

> You could possibly look at how voidlinux handles the cyclic dependency
> by splitting the package:
>
> https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/blob/master/srcpkgs/python/template
> https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/blob/master/srcpkgs/python-tkinter/template

Other option might be to have a special BOOTSTRAP flag to indicate that
we are bootstrapping aports. We have more aports that could use that.

However, I would really prefer to avoid that. Splitting the package as
Eivind suggest would be better. We do similar with poppler and
poppler-qt i think.

-nc