[alpine-devel] Help needed with forums

<20141010114809.14226418@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>

As some have noticed we have got some spam on our forums.

http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/3421

We need someone who can help with the forums, moderation etc,
preferable someone who is willing to try keep the forums alive.

I am ok to keep drupal for forums (if that is what we want) when moving
to new website, but it might also be an opportunity to move to
something else (move to redmine? fluxbb?), or even shut it down
completely.

Any volunteers?

In the long run, I'd like to have a shared user account
(username/password) for wiki, forums, bugs etc if possible.

<7be7899728d32d90914a8881a02992fa@bsod.eu>
In-Reply-To
<20141010114809.14226418@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Il 2014-10-10 12:48 Natanael Copa ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> As some have noticed we have got some spam on our forums.
>
> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/3421
>
> We need someone who can help with the forums, moderation etc,
> preferable someone who is willing to try keep the forums alive.
>
> I am ok to keep drupal for forums (if that is what we want) when moving
> to new website, but it might also be an opportunity to move to
> something else (move to redmine? fluxbb?), or even shut it down
> completely.
>
> Any volunteers?
>
> In the long run, I'd like to have a shared user account
> (username/password) for wiki, forums, bugs etc if possible.

Actually I dunno if is worth to invest in the forum: do we know how many
people are visiting it?
Do we have any plan to "advertise" somehow the forum?
For the moment (from a superficial read), the ones who wroute in the
forum are mostly the same who are writing on irc.
Afaict, irc is the place where ppl goes to got assistance, 'cause who is
using Alpine is not a novice.

 From my personal point of view, forum is more for beginners, while irc
and ml for more "advanced users", which is the primary audience of
Alpine.
Otoh, could be a way to "attract" person to Alpine, but again, we need
to advertise is somehow.

--
:: Francesco ::
Twit.....http://twitter.com/fcolista

<20141010140018.5f678e4a@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<7be7899728d32d90914a8881a02992fa@bsod.eu> (view parent)
On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 13:22:55 +0300
Francesco <francesco@bsod.eu> wrote:

> Il 2014-10-10 12:48 Natanael Copa ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As some have noticed we have got some spam on our forums.
> >
> > http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/3421
> >
> > We need someone who can help with the forums, moderation etc,
> > preferable someone who is willing to try keep the forums alive.
> >
> > I am ok to keep drupal for forums (if that is what we want) when moving
> > to new website, but it might also be an opportunity to move to
> > something else (move to redmine? fluxbb?), or even shut it down
> > completely.
> >
> > Any volunteers?
> >
> > In the long run, I'd like to have a shared user account
> > (username/password) for wiki, forums, bugs etc if possible.
>
> Actually I dunno if is worth to invest in the forum: do we know how many
> people are visiting it?
> Do we have any plan to "advertise" somehow the forum?
> For the moment (from a superficial read), the ones who wroute in the
> forum are mostly the same who are writing on irc.
> Afaict, irc is the place where ppl goes to got assistance, 'cause who is
> using Alpine is not a novice.
>
>  From my personal point of view, forum is more for beginners, while irc
> and ml for more "advanced users", which is the primary audience of
> Alpine.
> Otoh, could be a way to "attract" person to Alpine, but again, we need
> to advertise is somehow.

That's basically how I feel about the forums too.

I don't mind having forums though, as long someone else are willing to
do the job. If nobody wants do it, then we should probably shut it down.

Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter@gmail.com>
<CA+cSEmNsnh8H9GMS9ZVmJhDpH7g9zk_Eb415dtruK=8t2dKc0g@mail.gmail.com>
On 10 October 2014 11:48, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As some have noticed we have got some spam on our forums.
>
> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/3421
>
> We need someone who can help with the forums, moderation etc,
> preferable someone who is willing to try keep the forums alive.

I have tried to keep up in the beginning, but in the end i keep forgetting
we have it because i don't use it myself.
I did add some function to easily remove spam and block the users who are
spammers, and implemented captcha's.

> I am ok to keep drupal for forums (if that is what we want) when moving
> to new website, but it might also be an opportunity to move to
> something else (move to redmine? fluxbb?), or even shut it down
> completely.

With the new website coming, I see absolutely no need to keep Drupal as
only a forum (its not really designed to be one).
Redmine is probably an even worse choice, as most people don't like redmine
anyway, and Ruby/Redmine is a POS to maintain.

> Any volunteers?

This seem to be the issue with Alpine. We do not have enough people who
want to do infra/support. I guess its the result of the product we provide.
Forums shouldn't be a single persons task to maintain. If thats going to be
the case we should consider it EOL.

> In the long run, I'd like to have a shared user account
> (username/password) for wiki, forums, bugs etc if possible.

-nc

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org